Main Article Content
streptozotocin, diabetes mellitus, kidney, betatrophin
The aim of this study is to investigate the effects of vitamin D on betatrophin and apoptosis in rat kidney tissue using an experimental diabetes model created with streptozotocin (STZ).
41 male Wistar-albino breed rat were assigned to 5 groups, which included 3 groups consisting of 7 animals each and 2 groups consisting of 10 animals each. The control group received no treatments. Single-dose 0.1 M sodium buffer was administered ip to the Buffer group. The Vitamin D group was orally administered 200 IU/day vitamin D. The Diabetes group was injected ip with single-dose 50 mg/kg STZ by dissolving the material in 0.1 M sodium buffer. Subjects with a glucose level exceeding 250 mg/dl were accepted to be diabetic. The Diabetes + Vitamin D group was injected ip with 50 mg/kg single-dose STZ by dissolving the material in 0.1 M sodium buffer. Once diabetes was established, 200 IU/day vitamin D was administered orally. Mice in all groups were decapitated in the end of the experiment, their kidney tissues were promptly extracted and TUNEL stained with immunohistochemistry. Additionally, serum samples acquired from all groups were evaluated with regard to total antioxidant status (TAS) and total oxidant status (TOS) levels.
The histological and biochemical analyses of the Control, Buffer, and Vitamin D groups revealed similar serum TOS and TAS levels, and TUNEL positivity and betatrophin immunoreactivity. While the Diabetes group showed significantly higher TOS levels and TUNEL positivity compared to the Control group, their TAS levels and betatrophin immunoreactivity were significantly reduced. The Diabetes+Vitamin group demonstrated significantly lower TOS levels and TUNEL positivity compared to the Diabetic group, and their TAS levels and betatrophin immunoreactivity increased significantly.
In conclusion; experimental diabetes was found to increase TOS and apoptotic cells and decrease TAS and betatrophin levels in kidney tissue in experimental diabetes, and that administering VitD as treatment caused a decrease in TOS and apoptotic cells and an increase in TAS and betatrophin levels. It was concluded that future studies needed to investigate various experimental diabetes times so that the role of diabetes in the pathophysiology of its effect on kidney tissue could be uncovered.
1. Glisemik Bozukluklarda Tanı, Sınıflama ve Tarama. TEMD Diyabetes Mellitus ve Komplikasyonlarının Tanı, Tedavi ve İzlem Kılavuzu. 9. Baskı, Türk Endokrinoloji ve Metabolizma Derneği, 2017.
2. Tang SC, Chan GC, Lai KN. Recent advances in managing and understanding diabetic nephropathy. F1000Res 2016; 5: 1-46.
3. Doroty, J., Vander, J. and Jason, M.H. (2001) Oxidative stress indices in IDDM subjects with and without long-term diabetic complications. Clinical Biocemistry. 34, 265-270.
4. Yardım-Akaydın, S., Sepici, A., Özkan, Y., Şimşek, B. and Sepici, V. (2006) Evaluation of allontoin levels as a new marker of oxidative stress in Behçet’s disease. Scand J Rheumatol. 35, 61- 64.
5. Pitkanen, O.M., Martin, J.M., Hallman, M., Akerblom, H.K., Sariola, H. and Andersson, S.M. (1992) Free radical activity during development of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus in the rat. Life Science. 50, 335- 339.
6. Van Dam, P.S., Van Asbeck, B.S., Erkelens, D.W., Marx, J.J., Gispen, W.H. and Bravenboer, B. (1995) The role of oxidative stress in neuropathy and other diabetic complications. Diabetes Metabolism Reviews. 11, 181- 192.
7. Yi P, Park JS, Melton DA. Betatrophin: a hormone that controls pancreatic p cell proliferation. Cell 2013; 153: 747-758.
8. Skog O, Korsgren S, Melhus A, Korsgren O. Revisiting the notion of type 1 diabetes being a T-cell-mediated autoimmune disease. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2013; 20: 118-123.
9. Han C, Xia X, Liu A, Zhang X, Zhou M, Xiong C, et al. Circulating betatrophin Is increased in patients with overt and subclinical hypothyroidism. Biomed Res Int 2016: 2016: 1-6.
10. Ren G, Kim JY, Smas CM. Identification of RIFL, a novel adipocyte-enriched insulin target gene with a role in lipid metabolism. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2012; 303: 334-351.
11. Zhang R, Abou-Samra AB. Emerging roles of Lipasin as a critical lipid regulator. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2013; 432: 401-405.
12. Tang T, Li L, Tang J, Li Y, Lin WY, Martin F, et al. A mouse knockout library for secreted and transmembrane proteins. Nat Biotechnol 2010; 28: 749-755.
13. Lickert H. Betatrophin fuels beta cell proliferation: first step toward regenerative therapy? Cell Metab 2013; 18: 5-6.
14. Gusarova V, Alexa CA, Na E, Stevis PE, Xin Y, Bonner-Weir S, et al. ANGPTL8/betatrophin does not control pancreatic beta cell expansion. Cell 2014; 159: 691-696.
15. Abu-Farha M, Abubaker J, Al-Khairi I, Cherian P, Noronha F, Hu FB, et al. Higher plasma betatrophin/ANGPTL8 level in Type 2 Diabetes subjects does not correlate with blood glucose or insulin resistance. Sci Rep 2015; 5: 1-8.
16. Espes D, Lau J, Carlsson PO. Increased circulating levels of betatrophinin individuals with long‐standing type 1 diabetes. Diabetologia 2013; 57: 50-5
17. Fu Z, Berhane F, Fite A, Seyoum B, Abou‐ Samra AB, Zhang R. Elevated circulating lipasin/betatrophin in human type 2 diabetes and obesity. Sci Rep 2014; 4: 5013-5014.
18. Fidan F, Alkan B M, Tosun A. Çağın Pandemisi: D vitamini eksikliği ve yetersizliği. Türk Osteoporoz Dergisi 2014; 20: 71-74.
19. Wacker M, Holick M. Vitamin D-effects on skeletal and extraskeletal health and the need for supplementation. Nutrients 2013; 5: 111-148.
20. Tellioğlu A, Başaran S. Güncel bilgiler ışığında vitamin D. Arşiv Kaynak Tarama Dergisi 2013; 22: 259-271.
21. Badawi A, Sayegh S, Sadoun E, Al-Thani M, Arora P, Haddad PS. Relationship between insulin resistance and plasma vitamin D in adults. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 2014; 7: 297-303.
22. Zhou J, Chen H, Wang Z, Li Y, Li M, Xiang H. Effects of vitamin D supplementation on insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Zhonghua yi xue za zhi 2014; 94: 3407-3410.
23. Wiseman H. Vitamin D is a membrane antioxidant: ability to inhibit iron-dependent lipid peroxidation in liposomes compared to cholesterol, ergosterol, and tamoxifen and relevance to anticancer action. FEBS J 1993; 326: 285-288.
24. Oren M, Rotter V. Introduction: p53 the first twenty years. Cell Mol Life Sci 1999; 55: 9-11.
25. Erel, O.A. (2004) Novel automated method to measure total antioxidant response against potent free radical reactions. Clin Biochem. 37, 112–119. 80
26. Erel, O.A. (2005) New automated colorimetric method for measuring total oxidant status. Clin Biochem. 38, 1103–1111.
27. Su J, Sandor K, Sköld K, Hökfelt T, Svensson CI, Kultima KJ. Identification and quantification of neuropeptides in naïve mouse spinal cord using mass spectrometry reveals [des-Ser1]-cerebellin as a novel modulator of nociception. Neurochem 2014; 130: 199-214.
28. Chacón PJ, del Marco Á, Arévalo Á, Domínguez-Giménez P, García-Segura LM, Rodríguez-Tébar Cerebellin 4, a synaptic protein, enhances inhibitory activity and resistance of neurons to amyloid-β toxicity. A Neurobiol Aging 2015; 36: 1057-1071.
29. Cagle MC, Honig MG. Parcellation of cerebellins 1, 2, and 4 among different subpopulations of dorsal horn neurons in mouse spinal cord. J Comp Neurol 2014 ; 522: 479- 497.
30. Kumar KG, Trevaskis JL, Lam DD, Suttan GM, Koza RA, Chouljenko VN, et al. Identification of adropin as a secreted factor linking dietary macronutrient intake with energy homeostasis and lipid metabolism. Cell Metab 2008; 8: 468-481.
31. Espes D, Lau J, Carlsson PO. Increased circulating levels of betatrophinin individuals with long‐standing type 1 diabetes. Diabetologia 2013; 57: 50-53.
32. Fu Z, Berhane F, Fite A, Seyoum B, Abou‐ Samra AB, Zhang R. Elevated circulating lipasin/betatrophin in human type 2 diabetes and obesity. Sci Rep 2014; 4: 5013-5014.
33. Abu‐Farha M, Sriraman D, Cherian P, et al. Circulating ANGPTL8/betatrophin is increased in obesity and reduced after exercise training. PLoS One. 2016; 11: 1-12.
34. Badawi A, Sayegh S, Sadoun E, Al-Thani M, Arora P, Haddad PS. Relationship between insulin resistance and plasma vitamin D in adults. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 2014; 7: 297-303.
35. Zhou J, Chen H, Wang Z, Li Y, Li M, Xiang H. Effects of vitamin D supplementation on insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Zhonghua yi xue za zhi 2014; 94: 3407-3410.
36. Pfaffly JR. Diabetic complications, hyperglicemi and free radicals. Diabetic complications. Neuroscience Research Communications 1997; 21: 41-48.
37. Van Dam PS, Bravenboer B. Oxidative stres and antioxidant treatment in diabetic neuropathy. Neuroscience Research Communications 1997; 21: 41-48.
38. Burçak G, Andican G. Oksidatif DNA hasarı ve yaşlanma. Cerrahpasa Journal of Medicine 2004; 35: 159-169.
39. Oren M, Rotter V. Introduction: p53 the first twenty years. Cell Mol Life Sci 1999; 55: 9-11.
40. Chen CC, Susanto H, Chuang WH, Liu TY, Wang CH. Higher serum betatrophin level in type 2 diabetes subjects is associated with urinary albumin excretion and renal function. Diabetologia 2016; 45: 74-82.
41. Mevlüt Kurt, Ayşegül Atmaca, Alper Gürlek. Diyabetik nefropati. Hacettepe Tıp Dergisi 2004; 35: 12-17.
42. Yi P, Park JS, Melton DA. Betatrophin: a hormone that controls pancreatic p cell proliferation. Cell 2013; 153: 747-758.
43. Kassem SA, Ariel I, Thornton PS, Scheimberg I, Glaser B. Beta-cell proliferation and apoptosis in the developing normal human pancreas and in hyperinsulinism of infancy. Diabetes 2000; 49: 1325-1333.