Main Article Content
Bochdalek hernia, case report, chest, abdomen, CT
A Bochdalek hernia, also known as a congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH), is a type of hernia that occurs in infants. The diaphragm, the muscle that separates the chest cavity from the abdominal cavity, is characterized by a hole or gap during birth. This opening allows the abdominal organs, such as the stomach, intestines, or liver, to pass through the thoracic cavity.
Here, we report a 56-year-old male patient who came to our hospital because of rectal bleeding, symptoms unrelated to the hernia. We performed a Computed Tomography (CT) scan with contrast enhancement to find the cause of the bleeding and as an incidental finding we diagnosed the hernia: it is very rare to find a silent Bochdalek hernia for more than 50 years.
2. Alam A, Chander BN. Adult Bochdalek Hernia. Med J Armed Forces India. 2005 Jul;61(3):284-6. doi: 10.1016/S0377-1237(05)80177-7.
3. Mullins ME, Stein J, Saini SS, Mueller PR. Prevalence of incidental Bochdalek's hernia in a large adult population. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001 Aug;177(2):363-6. doi: 10.2214/ajr.177.2.1770363.
4. Brown SR, Horton JD, Trivette E, Hofmann LJ, Johnson JM. Bochdalek hernia in the adult: demographics, presentation, and surgical management. Hernia. 2011 Feb;15(1):23-30. doi: 10.1007/s10029-010-0699-3.
5. Kinoshita F, Ishiyama M, Honda S, et al. Late-presenting posterior transdiaphragmatic (Bochdalek) hernia in adults: prevalence and MDCT characteristics. J Thorac Imaging. 2009 Feb;24(1):17-22. doi: 10.1097/RTI.0b013e31818c6bc8.
6. Temizöz O, Gençhellaç H, Yekeler E, et al. Prevalence and MDCT characteristics of asymptomatic Bochdalek hernia in adult population. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2010 Mar;16(1):52-5. doi: 10.4261/1305-3825.DIR.2750-09.1.
7. Katz AS, Naidech HJ, Malhotra P. The air meniscus as a radiographic finding: a review of the literature and presentation of nine unusual cases. CRC Crit Rev Diagn Imaging. 1978;11(2):167-83.
8. Yamana D, Ohba S. Three-dimensional image of Bochdalek diaphragmatic hernia; a case report. Radiat Med. 1994 Jan-Feb;12(1):39-41.
9. Takahashi R, Akamoto S, Nagao M, et al. Follow-up of asymptomatic adult diaphragmatic hernia: should patients with this condition undergo immediate operation? A report of two cases. Surg Case Rep. 2016 Dec;2(1):95. doi: 10.1186/s40792-016-0220-z.
10. Miyasaka T, Matsutani T, Nomura T, et al. Laparoscopic repair of a Bochdalek hernia in an elderly patient: a case report with a review from 1999 to 2019 in Japan. Surg Case Rep. 2020 Sep 29;6(1):233. doi: 10.1186/s40792-020-01003-8.
11. Tufiño J, Espin S, Reyes MC, et al. Bochdalek hernia in a young adult successfully treated with a laparoscopic approach, a case report. Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2021 Apr 15;65:102279. doi: 10.1016/j.amsu.2021.102279.