Main Article Content
Health emergency management, Covid-19, Public Health, Interreg, cross-border territories, survey, focus group
Background and aim: The Covid-19 pandemic highlighted management difficulties in neighboring territories. The aim of the paper is to report the needs of different stakeholders during, before and after Covid-19 emergency with specific regard to challenges faced by public administrators in confined territories. Methods: In the framework of Interreg GESTI.S.CO. project the study has been designed with two methodological steps: i) a co-design workshop and ii) a web-based survey. The workshop includes both an audience interaction session and focus groups. Then, starting from the focus group results, the survey has been designed with 30 questions and submitted to the 227 municipalities located between Italy and Switzerland to understand the implementation of Public Health strategies in local emergency planning. Results: The interactive session highlighted that most of the critical issues are related to the lack of communication and planning in Public Health policies. The survey highlighted that the local emergency plans rarely integrate a section on health emergencies (30% Italy and 50% Switzerland). Only 20% of the respondents dedicated a section for Covid-19 emergency management. Most of them did not activate initiatives to support mental health. 90% of the municipalities did not cooperate with the neighboring country, but half of them think that it would have been much more useful. The 55% of the Italian respondents are currently updating their emergency plan and will implement it with some Public Health input. Conclusions: The study provides insights that can support policy makers in improving their strategy in responding to future pandemic. (www.actabiomedica.it)
2. Gibson PJ, Theadore F, Jellison JB. The Common Ground Preparedness Framework: A Comprehensive Description of Public Health Emergency Preparedness. Am J Public Health. 2012;102(4): 633–642. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300546.
3. Nelson C, Lurie N, Wasserman J, Zakowski S, Leuschner K. Conceptualizing and defining public health emergency preparedness. 2008. http://www.rand.org/pubs/working_papers/WR543 [Accessed 14th February 2022].
4. Gostin L. The International Health Regulations and beyond. The Lancet Infect Dis. 2004;4(10): 606–607. doi:10.1016/S1473-3099(04)01142-9.
5. World Health Organization. Strategic preparedness, readiness and response plan to end the global COVID-19 emergency in 2022. Report number: WHO/WHE/ SPP/2022.01, 2022.
6. Lee K, Grépin KA, Worsnop C, Marion S, Piper J, Song M. Managing borders during public health emergencies of international con-cern: a proposed typology of cross-border health measures. Global Health. 2021;17(1): 62. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12992-021-00709-0.
7. Buffoli M, Rebecchi A, Dell’Ovo M, Oppio A, Capolongo S. Transforming the Built Environment Through Healthy-Design Strategies: A Multidimensional Framework for Urban Plans’ Evaluation. In: Bevilacqua C, Calabrò F, Della Spina L (eds.) New Metropolitan Per-spectives. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2020. p. 187–196. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-52869-0_16.
8. Capolongo S, Buffoli M, Mosca EI, Galeone D, D’Elia R, Rebecchi A. Public Health Aspects’ Assessment Tool for Urban Projects, Ac-cording to the Urban Health Approach. In: Della Torre S, Cattaneo S, Lenzi C, Zanelli A (eds.) Regeneration of the Built Environ-ment from a Circular Economy Perspective. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2020. p. 325–335. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-33256-3_30.
9. Capolongo S, Rebecchi A, Buffoli et al. COVID-19 and Cities: from Urban Health strategies to the pandemic challenge. A Decalogue of Public Health opportunities. Acta Biomed. 2020;91(2): 13–22. doi: 10.23750/abm.v91i2.9615.
10. Capasso L, Faggioli A, Rebecchi A, et al. Aspetti igienico-sanitari in ambito urbanistico: conflittualità nelle norme urbanistiche nazionali e locali in tema di sanità pubblica. Epidemiol Prev. 2018;42(1): 60–64. doi: 10.19191/EP18.1.P060.016.
11. Capolongo S, Buffoli M, Riva MG, Tognolo C, Oppio A. Hygiene and emergency. Considerations and proposals for improving hygiene and health features of Advanced Medical Post. Ann Ig . 2012;24(5): 389–396. PMID: 23193895
12. Trillo-Santamaría JM, Lara-Valencia F, Agulló J, Pérez HG, González XO. Covid-19 and Cross-Border Mobility . 2020; doi: 10.13140/RG.2.2.28316.82565. TRANSBORDER POLICY LAB.
13. Grimée M, Bekker-Nielsen Dunbar M, Hofmann F, Held L. Modelling the effect of a border closure between Switzerland and Italy on the spatiotemporal spread of COVID-19 in Switzerland. Spat Stat. 2022;49: 100552. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spasta.2021.100552.
14. Brambilla A, Sun T zhi, Elshazly W, et al. Flexibility during the COVID-19 Pandemic Response: Healthcare Facility Assessment Tools for Resilient Evaluation. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2021;18(11478). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph182111478.
15. Brusamolin E, Brambilla A, Capolongo S. Learning from COVID 19. A Comparison of Innovative Design Solutions for Human-Centered Healthcare Facilities. In: -Anzani A, Scullica F (eds.) The City of Care. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2023. p. 73–93. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-14608-4_7.
16. Petrenj B, Piraina M, Feletti G, Trucco P, Urbano V, Gelmi S. Cross-border Information Sharing for Critical Infrastructure Resilience: Requirements and Platform Architecture. In: ISCRAM 2021 Conference Proceedings – 18th International Conference on Infor-mation Systems for Crisis Response and Management. 2021.
17. Lenzi A, Capolongo S, Ricciardi G, et al. New competences to manage urban health: Health City Manager core curriculum. Acta Bio-med. 2020;91(3-S): 21–28. https://doi.org/10.23750/abm.v91i3-S.9430.
18. Gola M, Brambilla A, Barach P, Signorelli C, Capolongo S. Educational Challenges in Healthcare Design: Training Multidisciplinary Professionals for Future Hospitals and Healthcare. Ann Ig. 2020;32(5): 549–566. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2020.2375.
19. Garavaglia C, Sancino A, Trivellato B. Italian mayors and the management of COVID-19: adaptive leadership for organizing local gov-ernance. Eurasian Geography and Economics. 2021;62(1): 76–92. doi: 10.1080/15387216.2020.1845222.
20. Buffoli M, Mangili S, Capolongo S, Brambilla A. Explorative Study on Urban Public Space Renovation during COVID-19: Test of a Visual Web-Based Survey about the City of Saint German en Laye, France. Sustainability. 2022;14(19): 12489. doi: 10.3390/su141912489.
21. Capolongo S, Mauri M, Peretti G, Pollo R, Tognolo C. Facilities for Territorial Medicine: the experiences of Piedmont and Lombardy Regions. TECHNE - Journal of Technology for Architecture and Environment. 2015; 230-236. doi: 10.13128/TECHNE-16128.
22. Brambilla A, Mangili S, Macchi M, Trucco P, Perego A, Capolongo S. Covid-19 Massive Vaccination Center Layouts. A modular and Scalable Model for Lombardy Region, Italy. Acta Biomed. 2021;92(6). doi: 10.23750/abm.v92iS6.12229.
23. Capolongo S, Brambilla A, Girardi A, Signorelli C. Validation Checklist for Massive Vaccination Centers. Ann Ig. 2021; Sep-Oct;33(5):513-517. doi: 10.7416/ai.2021.2460.
24. Morganti A, Brambilla A, Aguglia A, et al. Effect of Housing Quality on the Mental Health of University Students during the COVID-19 Lockdown. Int J of Environ Res Public Health. 2022;19(5): 2918. doi: 10.3390/ijerph19052918.
25. Amerio A, Bertuccio P, Santi F, et al. Gender Differences in COVID-19 Lockdown Impact on Mental Health of Undergraduate Stu-dents. Front Psychiatry. 2022;12: 813130. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2021.813130.
26. Ministero del Lavoro e delle Politiche Sociali, The World Bank, ANCI, PON Inclusione, Fondo Sociale Europeo. I Servizi Sociali al tem-po del coronavirus. Pratiche in corso nei comuni Italiani. 2020. https://www.lavoro.gov.it/redditodicittadinanza/Rafforzamento-servizi/Documents/I-Servizi-Sociali-al-tempo-del-Coronavirus.pdf [Accessed 14th February 2022].
27. Gianfredi V, Balzarini F, Gola M, et al. Leadership in Public Health: Opportunities for Young Generations Within Scientific Associa-tions and the Experience of the “Academy of Young Leaders”. Front Public Health. 2019;7: 378. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2019.00378.
28. Capolongo S, Lemaire N, Oppio A, Buffoli M, Roue Le Gall A. Pianificazione urbana per città sane: sistemi di valutazione multicriteriale, elaborati in Italia e Francia, per includere gli aspetti sanitari nei piani e progetti urbani . Epidemiol Prev. 2016;40(3–4): 257–264. https://doi.org/10.19191/EP16.3-4.P257.093.