Main Article Content
case/care manager, qualitative study, care complexity, integrated care pathways, person centered care
Background and aim of the work. The roles of Case Managers, Care Managers and fledgling Case / Care Managers integrate clinical systems to achieve optimal patient outcomes through the coordinated use of the most appropriate clinical resources. Although the Case and Care Managers roles have been researched, there is still little evidence of the development of the Case / Care Manager in the Italian Healthcare System. Aim of this research is to investigate the perception of healthcare professionals of the implementation of the Case / Care Manager figure and how it operates . Research design and methods. The study adopted a qualitative descriptive methodology with a phenomenological approach, using in-depth interviews. Participants (N = 21) were health professionals of multidisciplinary teams from several healthcare contexts in northern and central Italy, in which was activated a Case, Care, or Case / Care Manager role. The study was conducted in December 2020/ January 2021. Results. The themes showed a vision of the Case Manager, even a critical one, as a figure in transformation precisely from Case Management to Case / Care management. The themes underline how the Case / Care Manager represent a facilitator of clinical-therapeutic paths while acting as a reference figure, supporting the patient, his/her family and the multidisciplinary team. Conclusions. The results of the study confirm the Case / Care Manager as the health professional who deals with care pathways through an integrated, interdisciplinary and personalized approach, placing the person at the centre and thus overcoming a disease-centered approach.
2. Hernández-Zambrano SM, Mesa-Melgarejo L, Carrillo-Algarra AJ , Castiblanco-Montañez RA , Chaparro-Diaz L , Carreño-Moreno SP, Rico-Salas RG , Marles-Salazar MA, Diaztagle-Fernández JJ, Helena Mercedes Ardila-Rodriguez HM. Effectiveness of a case management model for the comprehensive provision of health services to multi-pathological people. J Adv Nurs 2019;75(3):665-675.
3. McCullough L. The case manager: an essential link in quality care. Creat Nurs 2009;15(3):124-6.
4. Commission for Case Manager Certification. Understanding the Increasing Role and Value of the Professional Case Manager: A National Study From the Commission for Case Manager Certification, Part 1. Prof Case Manag 2020;25(2):E11-E12.
5. Huston CJ. The role of the case manager in a disease management program. Lippincotts Case Manag 2001;6(5):222-7.
6. Groenen CJM, van Duijnhoven NTL, Faber MJ, Koetsenruijter J, Kremer JAM , Vandenbussche FPHA. Use of social network analysis in maternity care to identify the profession most suited for case manager role. Midwifery 2017;45:50-55.
7. Huber Dl. Leadership and Nursing Care Management. V Ed. Saint Louis: Saunders; 2013
8. Karsikas E, Meriläinen M, Tuomikoski A, Koivunen K, Jarva E, Mikkonen K, Oikarinen A, Kääriäinen M, Jounila-Ilola P , Kanste O. Health care managers' competence in knowledge management: A scoping review. J Nurs Manag 2022. Online ahead of print.
9. Fries Taylor E, Machta RM, Meyers DS, Genevro J, Peikes DN. Enhancing the primary care team to provide redesigned care: the roles of practice facilitators and care managers. Ann Fam Med 2013;11(1):80-3.
10. Bogdanova K, Chaneva G. Professional Development and Qualification of Health Care Managers in the Conditions of the COVID 19 Epidemiological Situation. Proceedings of the International Scientific and Practical Conference on Sustainable Development of Regional Infrastructure (ISSDRI) 2021, 719-723.
11. Teeter BS, Kavookjian J. Telephone-based motivational interviewing for medication adherence: a systematic review. Transl Behav Med 2014; 4(4):372-81.
12. Petrova T, Kavookjian J, Madson MB, Dagley J, Shannon D, McDonough SK. Motivational Interviewing Skills in Health Care Encounters (MISHCE): Development and psychometric testing of an assessment tool. Res Social Adm Pharm 2015;11(5):696-707.
13. Miller WR, Rollnick S. Motivational interviewing: Helping people change. NewYork, NY : The Guilford Press; 2012
14. Palacio A, Garay D, Langer B, Taylor J, Wood BA, Tamariz L. Motivational Interviewing Improves Medication Adherence: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. J Gen Intern Med 2016 ;31(8):929-40.
15. Gianos E, Schoenthaler A, Mushailov M, Fisher EA, Berger JS. Rationale and design of the Investigation of Motivational Interviewing and Prevention Consults to Achieve Cardiovascular Targets (IMPACT) trial. Am Heart J 201;170(3):430-7.
16. Randall CL, McNeil DW. Motivational Interviewing as an Adjunct to Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Anxiety Disorders: A Critical Review of the Literature. Cogn Behav Pract 2017; 24(3):296-311.
17. Spencer JC, Wheeler SB. A systematic review of Motivational Interviewing interventions in cancer patients and survivors. Patient Educ Couns 2016; 99(7):1099-1105.
18. Shingleton RM, Palfai TP. Technology-delivered adaptations of motivational interviewing for health-related behaviors: A systematic review of the current research. Patient Educ Couns 2016 ;99(1):17-35.
19. Pollak KI, Coffman CJ, Tulsky JA, et al. Teaching Physicians Motivational Interviewing for Discussing Weight With Overweight Adolescents. J Adolesc Health 2016 ;59(1):96-103.
20. Bertuol, M., Di Niro, V., Tagliabue, C., Ventre, V., Cusenza, P., Taffurelli, C., ... & Artioli, G. The process of developing the professional identity of the nurse case care manager: a grounded theory study. Acta Bio Medica: Atenei Parmensis 2020; 91(Suppl 6), 19.
21. Foà, C., Bertuol, M., Deiana, L., Rossi, S., Sarli, L., & Artioli, G. The case/care manager in eating disorders: The nurse’s role and responsibilities. Acta Bio Medica: Atenei Parmensis 2019; 90(Suppl 11), 17.
22. Alfieri, E., Ferrini, A. C., Gianfrancesco, F., Lise, G., Messana, G., Tirelli, L., ... & Sarli, L. The mapping competences of the nurse Case/Care Manager in the context of Intensive Care. Acta Bio-medica: Atenei Parmensis, 2017; 88(1S): 69-75.
23. Cook O, McIntyre M, Recoche K, Lee S. "Our nurse is the glue for our team" - Multidisciplinary team members' experiences and perceptions of the gynaecological oncology specialist nurse role. Eur J Oncol Nurs 2019; 41:7-15.
24. Giorgi AP. The descriptive phenomenological psychological method. JPP 2012; 43:3-12.
25. Edward KL, Welch T. The extension of Colaizzi's method of phenomenological enquiry. Contemp Nurse 2011; 39(2):163-71.
26. Braun V, Clarke V. Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qual Res Psychol 2006; 3(2),:77-101.
27. Ryan-Nicholls D., Will, I. C. Rigour in qualitative research: Mechanisms for control. Nurse Researcher 2009; 16: 70–83.
28. Watson, J. Caring science and human caring theory: Transforming personal and professional practices of nursing and health care. J Health Hum Serv Adm 2009; 466-482.
29. Cosentino, C., Bettuzzi, M., Campioli, G., Di Marco, V., Giacopuzzi, G., Marinoni, I., ... & Artioli, G. Individual and social variables and their effect on Case/Care Manager Job Satisfaction: an exploratory study. Acta Bio Medica: Atenei Parmensis, 2017; 88(Suppl 3), 59.
30. De Luca, E., & Sena, B. Searching for a professional identity: a qualitative study of the oncology nurses role in a multidisciplinary breast-unit team. Acta Bio-medica: Atenei Parmensis 2021; 92(S2), e2021506-e2021506.
31. Cesta, T. What’s old is new again: The history of case management. Case Management Insider 2017; 1-6.
32. Carradori, T., Bravi, F., Butera, D. S., Iannazzo, E., Valpiani, G., & Wienand, U. Continuity of care in oncology. Quantitative analysis of data from patients treated in two different settings in Emilia--Romagna. Recenti Progressi in Medicina, 2017; 108(6): 288-293.
33. Picchi, S., Bonapitacola, C., Borghi, E., Cassanelli, S., Ferrari, P., Iemmi, B., ... & Artioli, G. The narrative interview in therapeutic education. The diabetic patients’ point of view. Acta Bio Medica: Atenei Parmensis 2018; 89(Suppl 6): 43.
34. Kroning, M. Fostering soft skills is a must for nurse leaders. Am. Nurse Today 2015; 10(2).
35. Kerr, D., Ostaszkiewicz, J., Dunning, T., & Martin, P. The effectiveness of training interventions on nurses' communication skills: A systematic review. Nurse Educ. Today 2020; 89: 104405.
36. Treiger, T. M. Shared Decision-Making: A New Frontier for Case Management Leadership. Prof. Case Manag. 2020; 25(2): 56-76.