Main Article Content
chickenpox, eczema, history of medicine, herpes zoster, Mary Shelley, psoriasis, stroke
In this article the origins of Mary Shelley’s neurological and cerebrovascular problems are described. Through a reanalysis of her biography, her early health issues caused by a dermatological condition, potentially eczema, psoriasis or chickenpox, are related, thanks to current biomedical knowledge, to her migraines and strokes, including the one that killed her.
2. Charlier P, Appenzeller O, Deo S, Perciaccante A, Bianucci R. Hemiplegic migraine and stroke in Mary Shelley. Lancet Neurol 2018; 17(4): 305.
3. Galassi FM, Gelsi R. Methodological limitations of an etiological framing of Ariarathes’ goitre: response to Tekiner et al. J Endocrinol Invest 2015; 38(5): 569.
4. Sampson F. In Search of Mary Shelley. PEGASUS Books, 2019. Kindle Edition, pp. 98-101.
5. National Research Council (US) Committee to Update Science, Medicine, and Animals. Science, Medicine, and Animals. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2004. A Theory of Germs. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK24649/
6. Silverberg J.I., Association between childhood eczema and headaches: An analysis of 19 US population-based studies. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 137(2): 492-499.e5. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2015.07.020.
7. Capo A, Affaitati G, Giamberardino MA, Amerio P. Psoriasis and migraine. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2018; 32(1): 57-61. doi: 10.1111/jdv.14472.
8. Prakash S, Dave A, Joshi H. Herpes zoster ophthalmicus evolving into headache characterised as hemicrania continua. BMJ Case Rep 2018; 2018: bcr2018224235. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2018-224235
9. Su SY, Chen TJ, Yeh CM, Chou KT, Hung MH, Chu SY, Su KC, Chang YS, Lin YH, Liu CJ. Atopic dermatitis and risk of ischemic stroke: a nationwide population-based study. Ann Med 2014; 46(2): 84-89. doi: 10.3109/07853890.2013.870018.
10. Gelfand JM, Dommasch ED, Shin DB, Azfar RS, Kurd SK, Wang X, Troxel AB. The risk of stroke in patients with psoriasis. J Invest Dermatol 2009; 129(10): 2411-2418. doi: 10.1038/jid.2009.112.
11. Nagel MA, Gilden D. The relationship between herpes zoster and stroke, Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2015; 15(4): 16. doi: 10.1007/s11910-015-0534-4.