Main Article Content
trapeziometacarpal joint osteoarthritis, Burton-Pellegrini, trapeziectomy, rhizarthrosis
Background and aim: Rhizarthrosis common in elderly and represents 10% of all artrhitic manifestations. Trapeziectomy with ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition remains the gold standard for stages II to IV according to Eaton and Littler. This retrospective study aimed to evaluate the results of 24 patients affected by advanced rhizarthrosis who underwent to modified Burton-Pellegrini’s trapeziectomy with ligamentoplasty using the entire flexor carpi radialis tendon.
Methods: Patients were assessed through DASH and PRWHE questionnaires; the examination focused also on pain symptoms (VAS score) and the results obtained in carrying out specific tests to evaluate the trapezius-metacarpal functionality (key-pinch, grip strength, Kapandji test, reduction of wrist flexion). Furthermore, postoperative complications were evaluated.
Results: Clinical evaluation and individual satisfaction were positive in most cases (mean DASH 18,8 and mean PRWHE 21,7). VAS pain score reduced of 76.7%, grip strength and key pinch were similar to those of the non-operated hand and Kapandji test was excellent in 20 patients. One superficial wound infection was encountered which resolved by specific antibiotic therapy.
Conclusions: The choice of the most appropriate treatment depends on clinical conditions and socio-occupational factors of the patient (age, sex and functional needs), the degree of osteoarthritis and the presence of deformaties of the first metacarpophalangeal joint. Surgery aims to relief pain and to improve joint function and strength. According to the results observed this surgical technique has to be considered a valid option for the treatment of advanced rhizarthrosis as it provides pain relief, stability and mobility of the thumb.
2. Armstrong AL, Hunter JB, Davis TR. The prevalence of degenerative arthritis of the base of the thumb in postmenopausal women. J Hand Surg[Br] 1994; 19: 340-1.
3. Lane LB, Eaton RG. Ligament reconstruction for the painful “prearthritic” thumb carpometacarpal joint. Clin Orthop 1987; 220: 52.
4. Ghavami A, Oishi SN. Thumb Trapeziometacarpal Arthritis: Treatment with Ligament Reconstruction Tendon Interposition Arthroplasty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2006; 117(6): 116e-128e.
5. VanHeest AE, Kallemeier P. Thumb carpalmetacarpal arthritis. Jam Acad Orthop Surg 2008; 16(3): 140-51.
6.Gervis WH. Osteo-arthritis of the trapezio-metacarpal joint treated by excision of the trapezium. Proc R Soc Med . 1947; 40: 492.
7. Froimson AI. Tendon arthroplasty of the trapeziometacarpal joint. Clin Orthop . 1970; 70: 191-9.
8. Burton RI, Pellegrini VD Jr. Surgical management of basal Joint arthritis of the thumb. Part II. Ligament reconstruction with tendon interposition arthroplasty. J Hand Surg Am 1986 May; 11(3): 324-32.
9. Gervis WH. Excision of the trapezium for osteoarthritis of the trapezio-metacarpal joint. J Bone Joint Surg 1949; 31B: 537-9.
10. Eaton RG, Littler JW. Ligament reconstruction for the painful thumb carpometacarpal joint. J Bone Joint Surg 1973; 55A :1655-66.
11. Tomaino MM, Pellegrini VD Jr., Burton RI. Arthroplasty of the basal joint of the thumb: Long term follow-up after ligament reconstruction with tendon interposition. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 77: 346, 1995.
12. Lins RE, Gelberman RH, Mckeown L, et al. Basal joint arthritis: Trapeziectomy with ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition arthroplasty. J Hand Surg Am 1996; 21: 202.
13. Rayan GM, Young BT. Ligament reconstruction arthroplasty for trapeziometacarpal arthrosis. J Hand Surg Am 2000; 25: 447.
14. Van Heest AE, Kallemeier P. Thumb carpal metacarpal arthritis, J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2008 Mar; 16(3): 140-51.
15. Barron OA, Glickel SZ, Eaton RG. J Am. Acad. Orthop. Surg 2000 Sep-Oct; 8(5): 314-23.
16. Eaton EG, Glickel SZ. Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis: staging as a rationale for treatment. Hand Clin 1987; 3: 455-71.
17. Wajon A, Vinycomb T, Carr E, Edmunds I, Ada L. Surgery for thumb (trapeziometacar-pal joint) osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; 2:CD004631.
18. Vermeulen GM, Slijper H, Feitz R, Hovius SE, Moojen TM, Selles RW. Surgical man-agement of primary thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: a systematic review. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36(1):157-69.
19. Gangopadhyay S, McKenna H, Burke FD, Davis TR. Five- to 18-year follow-up for treatment of trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis: a prospective comparison of excision, tendon interposition, and ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition. J Hand Surg [Am] 2012; 37: 411-7.
20. Wajon A, Ada L, Edmunds I. Surgery for thumb (trapeziometacarpal joint) osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005; 4:CD004631.
21. Wajon A, Carr E, Edmunds I, Ada L. Surgery for thumb (trapeziometacarpal joint) osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 4:CD004631.
22. Vermeulen GM, Brink SM, Slijper H, et al. Trapeziometacarpal Arthrodesis or Trapeziectomy with Ligament Reconstruction in Primary Trapeziometacarpal Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery 2014; 96(9), 726-33.
23. MacDermid JC, Wessel J, Humphrey R, Ross D, Roth JH. Validity of self-report measures of pain and disability for persons who have undergone arthroplasty for osteoarthritis of the carpometacarpal joint of the hand. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2007 May; 15(5): 524-30.
24. Imaeda T, Cooney WP, Niebur GL, Linscheid RL, An KN. Kinematics of the trapeziometacarpal joint: a biomechanical analysis comparing tendon interposition arthroplasty and total-joint arthroplasty. J Hand Surg 1996; 21: 544–53.
25. Kaarela O, Raatikainen T. Abductor pollicis longus tendon interposition arthroplasty for carpometacarpal osteoarthritis of the thumb. J Hand Surg [Am] 1999; 24: 469-75.
26. Nylén S, Johnson A, Rosenquist AM. Trapeziectomy and ligament reconstruction for osteoarthrosis of the base of the thumb. A prospective study of 100 operations. J Hand Surg [Br] 1993; 18:616-9.
27. Field J, Buchanan D. To suspend or not to suspend: a randomised single blind trial of simple trapeziectomy versus trapeziectomy and flexor carpi radialis suspension. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2007; 32: 462-6.
28. Bettinger PC, Smutz WP, Linscheid RL, Cooney 3rd WP, An KN. Material properties of the trapezial and trapeziometacarpal ligaments. J Hand Surg [Am] 2000; 25:1085-95.
29. Colman M, Mass DP, Draganich LF. Effects of the deep anterior oblique and dorsoradial ligaments on trapeziometacarpal joint stability. J Hand Surg [Am] 2007; 32: 310-7.
30. D’Agostino P, Kerkhof FD, Shahabpour M, Moermans JP, Stockmans F, Vereecke EE. Comparison of the anatomical dimensions and mechanical properties of the dorsoradial and anterior oblique ligaments of the trapeziometacarpal joint. J Hand Surg [Am] 2014; 39:1098-107.
31. Nanno M, Buford Jr WL, Patterson RM, Andersen CR, Viegas SF. Three-dimensional analysis of the ligamentous attachments of the first carpo-metacarpal joint. J Hand Surg [Am] 2006; 31: 1160-70.