Main Article Content
Phlegmasia cerulea dolens; disseminated intravascular coagulation; COVI-19.
COVID-19 infection has several cardiovascular implications, and coagulopathy is a common abnormality in these patients, often coupled with elevated plasma fibrinogen and D-dimer levels, contributing to adverse outcomes. Phlegmasia cerulea dolens (PCD) is a rare manifestation of deep vein thrombosis. It is life-threatening and can rapidly lead to venous gangrene of the extremity. Only a few cases of COVID-19 associated with PCD are reported in the literature, despite thromboembolism being the common paradigm between the two diseases. We present the case of a 64-year-old adult with acute severe COVID-19 pneumonia who developed PCD despite constantly elevated activated partial thromboplastin time and international normalized ratio.
2. Klok FA, Kruip MJHA, van der Meer NJM, Arbous MS, Gommers DAMPJ, Kant KM, Kaptein FHJ, van Paassen J, Stals MAM, Huisman MV, Endeman H. Incidence of thrombotic complications in critically ill ICU patients with COVID-19. Thromb Res 2020; 191:145-147.
3. Kou CJ, Batzlaff C, Bezzant ML, Sjulin T. Phlegmasia Cerulea Dolens: A Life-Threatening Manifestation of Deep Vein Thrombosis. Cureus 2020; 12:e8587.
4. Visveswaran GK, Morparia K, Narang S, Sturt C, Divita M, Voigt B, Hawatmeh A, McQueen D, Cohen M. Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Infection and Thrombosis: Phlegmasia Cerulea Dolens Presenting with Venous Gangrene in a Child. J Pediatr 2020; 226:281–284.e1.
5. Chun TT, Jimenez JC, Pantoja JL, Moriarty JM, Freeman S. Phlegmasia cerulea dolens associated with acute coronavirus disease 2019 pneumonia despite supratherapeutic warfarin anticoagulation. J Vasc Surg Cases Innov Tech 2020; 6:653-656.
6. Bamgboje A, Hong J, Mushiyev S, Pekler G. A 61-Year-Old Man with SARS-CoV-2 Infection and Venous Thrombosis Presenting with Painful Swelling and Gangrene of the Lower Limb Consistent with Phlegmasia Cerulea Dolens. Am J Case Rep 2020; 21:e928342.
7. Voicu S, Bonnin P, Stépanian A, Chousterman BG, Le Gall A, Malissin I, Deye N, Siguret V, Mebazaa A, Mégarbane B. High Prevalence of Deep Vein Thrombosis in Mechanically Ventilated COVID-19 Patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2020; 76:480-482.
8. Jiménez D, García-Sanchez A, Rali P, Muriel A, Bikdeli B, Ruiz-Artacho P, Le Mao R, Rodríguez C, Hunt BJ, Monreal M. Incidence of VTE and Bleeding Among Hospitalized Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Chest 2020:S0012-3692(20)35146-1.
9. Morales MH, Leigh CL, Simon EL. COVID-19 infection with extensive thrombosis: A case of phlegmasia cerulea dolens. Am J Emerg Med 2020; 38:1978.e1-1978.e3.
10. Iba T, Levy JH, Connors JM, Warkentin TE, Thachil J, Levi M. The unique characteristics of COVID-19 coagulopathy. Crit Care 2020; 24:360.