Main Article Content
Italian consumers, Nutri-Score, Knowledge, Attitudes, Practices, food choices, front-of-pack nutrition label, nutritional labeling
Background and aim. A growing number of European Countries have adopted front-of-pack nutrition labels (FPNL) in order to assist costumers’ alimentary choices, and particularly Nutri-Score. While its acceptance in Italy has been slowed by ongoing debates, we assessed corresponding knowledge, attitudes and practices of a sample of Italian Medical Professionals (MP).
Methods. A total of 153 MP participated into an internet-based survey by completing a structured questionnaire. While 43.1% reported any knowledge of Nutri-Score, the overall understanding of its conceptual issues was quite low (50.8% after percentual normalization of the knowledge score). Only half of participants acknowledge some usefulness of FPNL, and their acceptance as a guide for nutritional choices was seemingly low (36.6%), being more likely in MP participants from Northern regions (Odds Ratio 9.610, 95% confidence intervals 2.667-34.637), living with children < 14 year or age (3.658, 1.463-9.145), and perceiving some usefulness in FPNL (3.595, 1.381-9.356). In turn, having any knowledge of Nutri-Score and being of male gender were negative effects.
Conclusions. Nutri-Score is a useful instrument in guiding consumers’ alimentary choices, but the actual understanding of its rationale by participants MP was insufficient. Specifically aimed interventions should be tailored in order to cope with a significant share of MP reporting false beliefs and misunderstanding.
1. OECD/European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies. Italy: Country Health Profile 2019, State of Health in the EU [Internet]. Paris/Brussels; 2019. Available from: http://www.oecd.org/italy/italy-country-health-profile-2019-cef1e5cb-en.htm (accessed on December 30th, 2020)
2. World Health Organization (WHO). Global Action Plan for The Prevention and Control of NCDs 2013–2020 [Internet]. World Health Organization. Geneva; 2019. Available from: https://www.who.int/nmh/publications/ncd-action-plan/en/ (accessed on December 30th, 2020)
3. Dréano-Trécant L, Egnell M, Hercberg S, Galan P, Soudon J, Fialon M, et al. Performance of the front-of-pack nutrition label nutri-score to discriminate the nutritional quality of foods products: A comparative study across 8 european countries. Nutrients. 2020; 12(5):1303. doi: 10.3390/nu12051303..
4. Julia C, Etilé F, Hercberg S. Front-of-pack Nutri-Score labelling in France: an evidence-based policy. Lancet Public Health. 2018;3(4):e164. doi: 10.1016/S2468-2667(18)30009-4
5. Julia C, Hercberg S. Development of a new front-of-pack nutrition label in France: the five-colour Nutri-Score. Public Heal Panor. 2017;03(04):712–25.
6. Fialon M, Egnell M, Talati Z, Galan P, Dréano-Trécant L, Touvier M, et al. Effectiveness of different front-of-pack nutrition labels among italian consumers: Results from an online randomized controlled trial. Nutrients. 2020;12(8):2307. doi: 10.3390/nu12082307.
7. Riccò M, Cattani S, Casagranda F, Gualerzi G, Signorelli C. Knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and practices of occupational physicians towards vaccinations of health care workers: A cross sectional pilot study in north-eastern Italy. Int J Occup Med Environ Health 2017;30(5):775-790. doi: 10.13075/ijomeh.1896.00895
8. Riccò M, Cattani S, Casagranda F, Gualerzi G, Signorelli C. Knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and practices of occupational physicians towards seasonal influenza vaccination: A cross-sectional study from North-Eastern Italy. J Prev Med Hyg 2017; 58(2):E141-E154.
9. Riccò M, Gualerzi G, Ranzieri S. Personal beliefs and misconceptions, not evidence guide generalpractitioners in the managing of travelers’ diarrhea: Results from apilot study (North-Western Italy, 2020). Med Mal Infecteuses. 2020; S0399-077X(20)30772-1. doi: 10.1016/j.medmal.2020.10.025.
10. Riccò M, Vezzosi L, Bragazzi NL, Balzarini F. Heat-Related Illnesses among Pesticide Applicators in North-Eastern Italy (2017). J Agromedicine 2020;25(1):52-64. doi: 10.1080/1059924X.2019.1606745
11. Riccò M, Razio B, Poletti L, Panato C, Balzarini F, Mezzoiuso AG, et al. Risk perception of heat related disorders on the workplaces : a survey among health and safety representatives from the autonomous province of Trento , Northeastern Italy. J Prev Med Hyg 2020;61(1):E48-E59. doi: 10.15167/2421-4248/jpmh2020.61.1.727.
12. Riccò M, Razio B, Panato C, Poletti L, Signorelli C. Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of Agricultural Workers towards Tetanus Vaccine: a Field Report. Ann Ig. 2017;29(4):239–55. doi: 10.7416/ai.2017.2156
13. Szabo De Edelenyi F, Egnell M, Galan P, Druesne-Pecollo N, Hercberg S, Julia C. Ability of the Nutri-Score front-of-pack nutrition label to discriminate the nutritional quality of foods in the German food market and consistency with nutritional recommendations. Arch Public Heal. 2019;77:28. doi: 10.1186/s13690-019-0357-x
14. Egnell M, Galan P, Farpour-Lambert NJ, Talati Z, Pettigrew S, Hercberg S, et al. Compared to other front-of-pack nutrition labels, the Nutri-Score emerged as the most efficient to inform Swiss consumers on the nutritional quality of food products. PLoS One. 2020;15(2):e0228179. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0228179.
15. Egnell M, Talati Z, Gombaud M, Galan P, Hercberg S, Pettigrew S, et al. Consumers’ responses to front-of-pack nutrition labelling: Results from a sample from the Netherlands. Nutrients. 2019;11(8):1817. doi: 10.3390/nu11081817.
16. Andreeva VA, Egnell M, Handjieva-Darlenska T, Talati Z, Touvier M, Galan P, et al. Bulgarian consumers’ objective understanding of front-of-package nutrition labels: A comparative, randomized study. Arch Public Heal. 2020;78:35. doi: 10.1186/s13690-020-00416-z
17. Egnell M, Kesse-Guyot E, Galan P, Touvier M, Rayner M, Jewell J, et al. Impact of front-of-pack nutrition labels on portion size selection: An experimental study in a French cohort. Nutrients. 2018;10(9):1268. doi: 10.3390/nu10091268
18. Mazzù MF, Romani S, Gambicorti A. Effects on consumers’ subjective understanding of a new front-of-pack nutritional label: a study on Italian consumers. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2020. Online ahead of print doi: 10.1080/09637486.2020.1796932
19. Deschasaux M, Huybrechts I, Julia C, Hercberg S, Egnell M, Srour B, et al. Association between nutritional profiles of foods underlying Nutri-Score front-of-pack labels and mortality: EPIC cohort study in 10 European countries. BMJ. 2020; 370:m3173. doi: 10.1136/bmj.m3173.
20. Betsch C, Wicker S. Personal attitudes and misconceptions, not official recommendations guide occupational physicians’ vaccination decisions. Vaccine 2014;32(35):4478–84. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2014.06.046
21. Schmid P, Rauber D, Betsch C, Lidolt G, Denker ML. Barriers of influenza vaccination intention and behavior - A systematic review of influenza vaccine hesitancy, 2005-2016. PLoS One 2017;12(1):e0170550. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0170550.
22. Betsch Id C, Schmid Id P, Id DH, Korn L, Holtmann C, Bö Hm R. Beyond confidence: Development of a measure assessing the 5C psychological antecedents of vaccination. PLoS One 2018;13(12):e0208601. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0208601
23. Gianfredi V, Nucci D, Salvatori T, Orlacchio F, Villarini M, Moretti M. “PErCEIVE in Umbria”: Evaluation of anti-influenza vaccination’s perception among Umbrian pharmacists. J Prev Med Hyg. 2018;59(1):E14–9. doi: 10.15167/2421-4248/jpmh2018.59.1.806.
24. Heiervang E, Goodman R. Advantages and limitations of web-based surveys : evidence from a child mental health survey. Soc Psychiat Epidemiol. 2011;(123):69–76. doi: 10.1007/s00127-009-0171-9.
25. Huang Y, Xu S, Lei W, Zhao Y, Liu H, Yao D, et al. Knowledge , Attitudes , and Practices Regarding Zika : Paper and Internet Based Survey in Zhejiang , China. JMIR Public Heal Surveill 2017. 2017;3(4):e81. doi: 10.2196/publichealth.7663
26. Riccò M, Vezzosi L, Balzarini F. Challenges faced by the Italian medical workforce. Lancet. 2020;395(10229):e55–6. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(19)33003-X