Main Article Content
COVID-19 pandemic, Autopsy, histopathological examination
The role of forensic pathologist is imperative for investigation of pathophysiological outcome of disease by conducting autopsy or post-mortem examination. Autopsy examination becomes highly significant when the cause of death is unknown or physicochemical parameters of death is of unknown nature due to novel emerging conditions as in case of novel coronavirus pandemic. In the wake of COVID-19 pandemic, there is undeniable amount of pressure on the forensic examiner fraternity due to the highly contagious nature of new coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2). Autopsy involves thorough external examination of the deceased body followed by gross internal, histopathological examination of organs and molecular analysis of body fluids for various tissue specific and blood biomarkers (enzymes, electrolytes, hormones) to ascertain disease progression and cause of death.
2. Adams JG, Walls RM. Supporting the Health Care Workforce During the COVID-19 Global Epidemic. JAMA 2020. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.3972 .
3. Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, Ren L, Zhao J, Hu Y, Zhang L, Fan G, Xu J, Gu X, Cheng Z, Yu T1, Xia J, Wei Y, Wu W, Xie X, Yin W, Li H, Liu M, Xiao Y, Gao H, Guo L, Xie J, Wang G, Jiang R, Gao Z, Jin Q, Wang J, Cao B. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet 2020;395(10223):497-506. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30183-5 .
4. Xu Z, Shi L, Wang Y, Zhang J, Huang L, Zhang C, Liu S, Zhao P, Liu H, Zhu L, Tai Y, Bai C, Gao T, Song J, Xia P, Dong J, Zhao J, Wang FS (2020) Pathological findings of COVID- 19 associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Lancet Respir Med 2020;8(4):420– 422. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30076-X .
5. Wang J, Zhou M, Liu F. Reasons for healthcare workers becoming infected with novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China. J Hosp Infect 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2020.03.002 .
6. Van Doremalen N, Bushmaker T, Morris DH, Holbrook MG, Gamble A, Williamson BN, et al. Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1. N Engl J Med 2020;382(16):1564-1567. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc2004973 .
7. Collection and Submission of Postmortem Specimens from Deceased Persons with Known or Suspected COVID-19 (Interim Guidance), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/guidance-postmortemspecimens. html . Last accessed on 14 May 2020.
8. Infection Prevention and Control for the safe management of a dead body in the context of COVID-19 (Interim Guidance), WHO. Available at, https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/331538/WHO-COVID-19-lPC_DBMgmt- 2020.1-eng.pdf . Last accessed on 14 May 2020.