Main Article Content
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancretiography, post-ERCP pancreatitis, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, ındomethacin
Objective: We aimed to compare stent and indomethacin suppository efficacy in the prevention of acute pancreatitis after ERCP.
Materials and Methods: 76 high-risk patients undergoing ERCP were included in the study. The patients were divided into three groups as indomethacin group, stent group and control group. Indomethacin group (n = 32) received 100 mg rectal indomethacin immediately after ERCP. A 5F pancreatic stent was applied to the stent group (n = 16) during ERCP. No prophylaxis was given to the control group (n = 28).
Results: There was no difference between the groups in terms of age and gender. ERCP pancreatitis was seen in 9.2% (7/76) of the patients. The incidence of ERCP-induced pancreatitis (PEP) was 3.1% (1/32) in the indomethacin group and 21.4% (6/28) in the control group. PEP was not seen in the stent group (0/16). The incidence of PEP was significantly lower in the indomethacin group than in the control group (p = 0.043). However, no significant difference was found between the stent and control groups, stent and indomethacin groups in terms of PEP frequency (p = 0.072, p: 0.90 respectively).
Conclusion: According to the results of our study, rectal indomethacin administration decreased the frequency of PEP in high-risk patients. However, there was no significant difference in PEP prophylaxis between the stent and indomethacin groups.
2. Ostroff JW, LaBerge JM. Endoscopic and radiologic treatment of biliary disease. In: Feldmen M, Friedman S.L, Sleisenger H.M (eds), Sleisenger and Fordtran's gastrointestinal and liver disease (7 th ed) Philadelphia, PA: Saunders 2002 , Chapter 61, 1167-1192.
3. Sayek I. Pankreatit. In: Sayek I (eds) Temel cerrahi (3 th ed.) Ankara: Güneş Kitabevi; 2004; 1409-1417.
4. Pekmezci S. Akut pankreatitte yaklasım ve tedavi, İ.Ü. Cerrahpasa Tıp Fakültesi sürekli tıp egitimi etkinlikleri Hepato-bilier sistem ve pankreas hastalıkları sempozyum dizisi No: 28 Ocak 2002; 239-262.
5. Mennecier D, Pons F, Arvers P, et al. Incidence and severity of non alcoholic and non biliary pancreatitis in a gastroenterology department. Gastroentérologie clinique et biologique. 2007;31(8):664-667.
6. Gislason H, Horn A, Hoem D, Andrén-Sandberg A, Imsland AK, Søreide O, et al. Acute pancreatitis in bergen, Norway A Study on Incidence, Etiology and severity. Scand J Surg 2004;93(1):29-33.
7. Dumonceau JM, Andriulli A, Deviere J, Mariani A, Rigaux J, Baron TH, et al. European society of gastrointestinal endoscopy (ESGE) guideline: prophylaxis of post-ERCP pancreatitis. Endoscopy 2010;42(6):503-515.
8. Cotton PB, Lehman G, Vennes J, Geenen JE, Russell RC, Meyers WC, et al. Endoscopic sphincterotomy complications and their management: an attempt at consensus. Gastrointest Endosc. 1991;37(3):383-393.
9. Lee KT, Lee DH, Yoo BM. The prophylactic effect of somatostatin on posttherapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography pancreatitis: a randomized, multicenter controlled trial. Pancreas. 2008;37(4):445-448.
10. Vandervoort J, Soetikno RM, Tham TC, Wong RC, Ferrari AP Jr, Montes H, et al. Risk factors for complications after performance of ERCP. Gastrointest Endosc. 2002;56(5):652-656.
11. Feurer ME, Adler DG. Post-ERCP pancreatitis: review of current preventive strategies. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2012;28(3):280-286.
12. Masci E, Mariani A, Curioni S, Testoni PA. Risk factors for pancreatitis following endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: a meta-analysis. Endoscopy. 2003;35(10):830-834.
13. Mazaki T, Masuda H, Takayama T. Prophylactic pancreatic stent placement and post-ERCP pancreatitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Endoscopy. 2010;42(10):842-853.
14. Anderson MA, Fisher L, Jain R, Evans JA, Appalaneni V, Ben-Menachem T, et al. Complications of ERCP. Gastrointest Endosc 2012;75(3):467-473.
15. Kahaleh M, Freeman M. Prevention and management of post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography complications. Clin Endosc 2012;45(3):305- 312.
16. Mäkelä A, Kuusi T, Schröder T. Inhibition of serum phospholipase-A2 in acute pancreatitis by pharmacological agents in vitro. Scand J Clin Lab İnvest 1997;57(5):401-407.
17. Dai H-F, Wang X-W, Zhao K. Role of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitis: a meta-analysis. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2009;8(1):11-16.
18. Murray B, Carter R, Imrie C, Evans S, O'Suilleabhain C. Diclofenac reduces the incidence of acute pancreatitis after endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. Gastroenterology 2003;124(7):1786-1791.
19. Montaño LA, Rodríguez LX, García CJ, Dávalos Cobián C, Cervantes Guevara G, Medrano Muñoz F, et al. [Effect of the administration of rectal indomethacin on amylase serum levels after endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, and its impact on the development of secondary pancreatitis episodes]. Revista espanola de enfermedades digestivas: organo oficial de la Sociedad Espanola de Patologia Digestiva. 2007;99(6):330-336.
20. Sotoudehmanesh R, Khatibian M, Kolahdoozan S, Ainechi S, Malboosbaf R, Nouraie M, et al. Indomethacin may reduce the incidence and severity of acute pancreatitis after ERCP. Am J Gastroenterol 2007;102(5):978-983.
21. Elmunzer BJ, Scheiman JM, Lehman GA, Chak A, Mosler P, Higgins PD, et al. A randomized trial of rectal indomethacin to prevent post-ERCP pancreatitis. N Engl J Med 2012;366(15):1414-22.
22. Rao A, Baron T. Pancreatic stent placement for prevention of post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography pancreatitis: do we need further evidence? No, the defense rests. Endoscopy. 2010;42(10):870-871.
23. Tarnasky PR, Palesch YY, Cunningham JT, Mauldin PD, Cotton PB, Hawes RH. Pancreatic stenting prevents pancreatitis after biliary sphincterotomy in patients with sphincter of oddi dysfunction. Gastroenterology. 1998;115(6):1518-1524.
24. Conigliaro R, Manta R, Bertani H, Manno M, Barbera C, Caruso A, et al. Pancreatic duct stenting for the duration of ERCP only does not prevent pancreatitis after accidental pancreatic duct cannulation: a prospective randomized trial. Surg Endosc 2013;27(2):569-574.
25. Martin L Fremann. Role of pancreatic stents in prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitis. JOP. 2004;5(5):322-327.
26. Pan X-P, Dang T, Meng X-M, Xue KC, Chang ZH, Zhang YP. Clinical study on the prevention of postERCP pancreatitis by pancreatic duct stenting. Cell Biochem Biophys 2011;61(3):473-479.
27. Sofuni A, Maguchi H, Mukai T, Kawakami H, Irisawa A, Kubota K, et al. Endoscopic pancreatic duct stents reduce the incidence of post–endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography pancreatitis in high-risk patients. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011;9(10):851-858.
28. Kawaguchi Y, Ogawa M, Omata F, Ito H, Shimosegawa T, Mine T. Randomized controlled trial ofpancreatic stenting to prevent pancreatitis after endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. World J Gastroenterol 2012;18(14):1635-1641.
29. Akbar A, Abu Dayyeh BK, Baron TH, Wang Z, Altayar O, Murad MH. Rectal nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs are superior to pancreatic duct stents in preventing pancreatitis after endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: a network meta-analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2013;11(7):778-783.
30. Elmunzer BJ, Higgins PD, Saini SD, Scheiman JM, Parker RA, Chak A, et al. Does rectal indomethacin eliminate the need for prophylactic pancreatic stent placement in patients undergoing high-risk ERCP?A prospective clinical trial data. Am J Gastroenterol 2013;108(3):410-415.