Main Article Content
diaphragmatic rupture, thoraco-abdominal trauma, motor vehicle accident
Background and aims:Diaphragmatic ruptures are associated with blunt abdominal or thoracic trauma and often occur in car and motorbike accident with a high energy impact. Case presentation: We report two cases of patients victims of car and motorbike accidents that were referred to the Emergency Department of our Hospital in August and September 2017 for a politrauma. The patients were both diagnosed with a left diaphragmatic rupture with herniation of the stomach in the chest, and decomposed fractures of the ribs. One of the two patients reported a large abdominal wound with loss of substance in the site of the impact. Both patients underwent to open emergency surgery with primary repair of the phrenic rupture. The post-operative course was characterized by the occurrence of complications such as respiratory distress and emothorax for one of the patients. Conclusion: Traumatic rupture of the diaphragm can be associated to blunt or penetrating abdominal trauma in car and motorbike accident with a prevalence of the left-sided lesions. In patients with politrauma an associate rupture of the diaphragm should be always suspected especially in motor accident where high energy impact can generate a traumatic laceration of the respiratory muscle. The treatment of associate thoracic wall fractures to prevent weaning and respiratory distress in intubated patient should be discussed.
2. Matsevych OY: Blunt diaphragmatic rupture: four years’ experience. Hernia 2008, 12(1):73–78.
3. Jin YL, Young HS, Jin BY, Seung JK, Jung HC, Joong SK. Right-sided diaphragmatic rupture in a poly traumatized patient. Ann Surg Treat and Res 2017; 3: 342-345.
4. Scharff JR, Naunheim KS. Traumatic diaphragmatic injuries. Thorac Surg Clin2007;17:81-5.
5. Kearney PA, Rouhana SW, Burney RE. Blunt rupture of the diaphragm: mechanism, diagnosis, and treatment. Ann Emerg Med 1989;18: 1326-30
6. Shah R, Sabanathan S, Mearns AJ, Choudhury AK: Traumatic rupture of diaphragm. Ann Thorac Surg 1995, 60(5):1444–1449.
7. Turhan K, Makay O, Cakan A, Samancilar O, Firat O, Icoz G: Traumaticdiaphragmatic rupture: look to see. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008,33:1082–1085.
8. Estrera AS, Landay MJ, McClelland RN. Blunt traumatic rupture of the right hemidiaphragm: experience in 12 patients. Ann Thorac Surg 1985;39: 525–30.
9. Williams M, Carlin AM, Tyburski JG, et al. Predictors of mortality in patients with traumatic diaphragmatic rupture and associated thoracic and/ or abdominal injuries. Am Surg 2004;70:157–62.
10. Thiam O, Konate I, Gueye ML, ToureAO, Seck M, Cisse M, et al. Traumatic diaphragmatic injuries: epidemiological, diagnostic and therapeutic aspects. Springerplus 2016;5:1614.
11. Rosati C. Acute traumatic injury of the diaphragm. Chest Surg Clin N Am 1998;8:371–9.
12. Sliker CW. Imaging of diaphragm injuries. Radiol Clin North Am 2006;44:199–211.
13. Marts B, Durham R, Shapiro M, et al. Computed tomography in the diagnosis of blunt thoracic injury. Am J Surg 1994;168:688–92.
14. Friese RS, Coln CE, Gentilello LM. Laparoscopy is sufficient to exclude occult diaphragm injury after penetrating abdominal trauma. J Trauma 2005;58: 789–92.
15. Lowdermilk GA, Naunheim KS. Thoracoscopic evaluation and treatment of thoracic trauma. Surg Clin N Am 2000;80:1535–42.
16. D’Souza N, Bruce JL, Clarke Dl, Laing GL; Laparoscopy for Occult Leftsided Diaphragm Injury Following Penetrating Thoracoabdominal Trauma is Both Diagnostic and Therapeutic. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2016; 26: 5-8.
17. Guth AA, Pachter HL, Kim U. Pitfalls in the diagnosis of blunt diaphragmatic injury. 1995;170: 5-9.
18. Sankalp Dwivedi, Pankaj Banode, Pankaj Gharde, Manisha Bhatt, and Sudhakar Ratanlal Johrapurkar. Treating traumatic injuries of the diaphragm. J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2010 Apr-Jun; 3(2): 173–176
19. Atoini F, Traibi H, Elkaoui F, Elouieraiachi M, Elhammoumi K, Sair E, Kabiri H. Les lésions diaphragmatiques post-traumatiques droites méconnues : une revue de six cas. Missed right post-traumatic diaphragmatic injuries: A review of six cases. Revue de Pneumologie Clinique; 2012; 68: 185-193.
20. Duzgun AP, Ozmen MM, Saylam B, Coskun F: Factors influencing mortality in traumatic ruptures of diaphragm. Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 2008,14(2):132–138.
21. James R. Scharff, MD, Keith S. Naunheim. Traumatic Diaphragmatic Injuries Thorac Surg Clin 2007, 17:81–85.
22. Marts B, Durham R, Shapiro M, et al. Computed tomography in the diagnosis of blunt thoracic injury. Am J Surg 1994;168:688–92.
23. Sliker CW. Imaging of diaphragm injuries. Radiol Clin North Am 2006;44:199–211.ry. Am J Surg 1994;168:688–92.
24. Tai NR, Boffard KD, authors. Thoracic trauma: principles of early management. Trauma. 2003;5: 123–36.