Main Article Content
Kinesio Tape, ACL, Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, Pain
Background and aim: The Kinesio Taping (KT) is being increasingly applied in physical therapy and rehabilitation. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of KT on an early rehabilitation program, in combination with the standard protocol after ACL reconstruction (ACLR).
Methods: This study enrolled 52 male patients, aged 18 to 45 years, who underwent ACLR with doubled gracilis and semitendinosus tendon (DGST) autograft. The patients were randomized into 2 groups: Group A (the control group) which received a standard rehabilitation protocol, and Group B (the experimental group), which had the same rehabilitation protocol plus the KT application. Pain intensity, range of motion, edema, thigh circumference, Tegner-Lysholm Scale and KOOS scale were measured at the second and fourth week follow-ups.
Results: Patients in the experimental group showed significant results during the second week for both pain and edema reduction compared to the control group (p< 0.05). After 4 weeks of rehabilitation, pain intensity in the two groups was similar (n.s.), while edema reduction in the experimental group showed a significant result compared to the control group (p< 0.05). Nevertheless, the other outcomes did not show significant differences.
Conclusions: The application of KT after ACLR contributed to relieve pain and reduce edema in the early postoperative rehabilitation period. Other potential benefits of KT on muscle activation and strength should be investigated through a longer follow-up and a targeted test.
2. Agel J, Rockwood T, Klossner D. Collegiate ACL Injury Rates Across 15 Sports: National Collegiate Athletic Association Injury Surveillance System Data Update (2004-2005 Through 2012-2013). Clin J Sport Med. 2016;26(6):518–523.
3. Ferretti A, Monaco E, Fabbri M, Maestri B, De Carli A. Prevalence and Classification of Injuries of Anterolateral Complex in Acute Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tears. Arthroscopy. 2017;33(1):147–154.
4. Noyes FR, Barber Westin SD. Anterior cruciate ligament injury prevention training in female athletes: a systematic review of injury reduction and results of athletic performance tests. Sports Health. 2012;4(1):36–46.
5. van Grinsven S, van Cingel RE, Holla CJ, van Loon CJ. Evidence-based rehabilitation following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2010;18(8):1128–1144.
6. Hörmann J, Vach W, Jakob M, Seghers S, Saxer F. Kinesiotaping for postoperative oedema - what is the evidence? A systematic review. BMC Sports Sci Med Rehabil. 2020;12:14.
7. Balki S, Göktas HE. Short-Term Effects of the Kinesio Taping® on Early Postoperative Hip Muscle Weakness in Male Patients With Hamstring Autograft or Allograft Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. J Sport Rehabil. 2019;28(4):311–317.
8. Yam ML, Yang Z, Zee BC, Chong KC. Effects of Kinesio tape on lower limb muscle strength, hop test, and vertical jump performances: a meta-analysis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019;20(1):212.
9. Limroongreungrat W, Boonkerd C. Immediate effect of ACL kinesio taping technique on knee joint biomechanics during a drop vertical jump: a randomized crossover controlled trial. BMC Sports Sci Med Rehabil. 2019;11:32.
10. Soderberg GL, Ballantyne BT, Kestel LL. Reliability of lower extremity girth measurements after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Physiother Res Int. 1996;1(1):7–16.
11. Tegner Y, Lysholm J. Rating systems in the evaluation of knee ligament injuries. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1985;(198):43–49.
12. Salavati M, Akhbari B, Mohammadi F, Mazaheri M, Khorrami M. Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS); reliability and validity in competitive athletes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011;19(4):406–410.
13. Kase K, Wallis J, Kase T. Clinical Therapeutic Applications of the Kinesio Taping™ Method. 3rd ed. Tokyo: Kení-kai Co Ltd.; 2003
14. Liu K, Qian J, Gao Q, Ruan B. Effects of Kinesio taping of the knee on proprioception, balance, and functional performance in patients with anterior cruciate ligament rupture: A retrospective case series. Medicine (Baltimore). 2019;98(48):e17956
15. Gülenç B, Kuyucu E, Biçer H, Genç SG, Yalçin S, Erdil M. Kinesiotaping Reduces Knee Diameter but Has No Effect on Differences Pain and Edema Following Knee Artroscopy. Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2018;85(4):285–290
16. Laborie M, Klouche S, Herman S, Gerometta A, Lefevre N, Bohu Y. Inefficacy of Kinesio-Taping(®) on early postoperative pain after ACL reconstruction: Prospective comparative study. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2015;101(8):963–967
17. Chan MC, Wee JW, Lim MH. Does Kinesiology Taping Improve the Early Postoperative Outcomes in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction? A Randomized Controlled Study. Clin J Sport Med. 2017;27(3):260–265
18. Balki S, Göktaş HE, Öztemur Z. Kinesio taping as a treatment method in the acute phase of ACL reconstruction: A double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2016;50(6):628–634
19. Boguszewski D, Tomaszewska I, Adamczyk JG, Białoszewski D. Evaluation of effectiveness of kinesiology taping as an adjunct to rehabilitation following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Preliminary report. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2013;15(5):469–478
20. Badger C, Preston N, Seers K, Mortimer P. Physical therapies for reducing and controlling lymphoedema of the limbs. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(4):CD003141
21. Hopkins JT, Ingersoll CD. Arthrogenic muscle inhibition: a limiting factor in joint rehabilitation. J Sport Rehabil. 2000;9(2):135-159.
22. Ebert JR, Joss B, Jardine B, Wood DJ. Randomized trial investigating the efficacy of manual lymphatic drainage to improve early outcome after total knee arthroplasty. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013;94(11):2103–2111
23. Vairo GL, Miller SJ, McBrier NM, Buckley WE. Systematic review of efficacy for manual lymphatic drainage techniques in sports medicine and rehabilitation: an evidence-based practice approach. J Man Manip Ther. 2009;17(3):e80–e89
24. Serra MV, Vieira ER, Brunt D, Goethel MF, Gonçalves M, Quemelo PR. Kinesio Taping effects on knee extension force among soccer players. Braz J Phys Ther. 2015;19(2):152–158
25. Oliveira AK, Borges DT, Lins CA, Cavalcanti RL, Macedo LB, Brasileiro JS. Immediate effects of Kinesio Taping(®) on neuromuscular performance of quadriceps and balance in individuals submitted to anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A randomized clinical trial. J Sci Med Sport. 2016;19(1):2–6.
26. Csapo R, Alegre LM. Effects of Kinesio(®) taping on skeletal muscle strength-A meta-analysis of current evidence. J Sci Med Sport. 2015;18(4):450–456.