Agony of the laborers and daily wagers during the COVID-19 induced lockdown in India Agony of the poor during the COVID-19 induced lockdown in India
Main Article Content
COVID-19, Lockdown, Global health crisis, Economically weaker sections, Daily wagers and poor people
The COVID-19 pandemic has not only brought the global health crisis but it also triggered the distressing effects on the social and economic life of the people. This pandemic has affected all segments of the population but the most vulnerable sections and occupations are suffering a lot. The communication traces the stipulation and misery of the labourers and daily wagers in India during lockdown, which was implemented as a necessary preventive measure to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.
2. Krishan K, Kanchan T. Lockdown is an effective ‘vaccine’ against COVID-19: A message from India, J Infec Dev Ctries 2020:14(6):545-546.
3. World Poverty Clock. https://www.worldpoverty.io (accessed Sept. 26, 2020).
4. Poverty in India. Asian Development Bank. https://www.adb.org/countries/india/poverty (accessed Sept 26, 2020).
5. Mukhra R, Krishan K, Kanchan T. COVID-19 Sets off Mass Migration in India. Arch. Med. Res. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arcmed.2020.06.003.
6. Dore B. TRTWORLD. India's lockdown is proving disastrous for millions of daily wagers. March 26, 2020. https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/india-s-lockdown-is-proving-disastrous-for-millions-of-daily-wagers-34879#:~:text=The%20hardest%20hit%20by%20the,workforce%20in%20the%20unorganised%20economy. (accessed Sept 26, 2020).
7. Vyah M. Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy. Job losses may have narrowed. May 26, 2020. https://www.cmie.com/kommon/bin/sr.php?kall=warticle&dt=2020-05-26%2008:18:26&msec=533 (accessed Sept 26, 2020).