Main Article Content
Myositis Ossificans, Calcification heterotopic, Thigh
Myositis Ossificans is an unusual pathological entity, characterized by calcification heterotopic of intramuscular connective tissue. In our knowledge, this giant ossification of the thigh has never described. We report the giant ossification of the thigh in woman 30 years old. A few years later after surgical treatment of femoral fracture, she consulted for knee stiffness and induration of his quadriceps, without pain or fever. Clinic, radiography and histology were in favor of myositis. There were no complications. Therapeutically, there was no medical treatment or surgery. The development the giant myositis ossificans is possible after a trauma. Different mechanisms are been discussed. Surgery is indicated if complications. The functional prognosis of such injury requires monitoring of the lower limbs after trauma. The reeducation is an absolute necessity.
2. Petropoulos AS, Sferopoulos NK. Myosite ossifiante posttraumatique du muscle psoas iliaque. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 1997;83:747–51.
3. Martin DK, Zadow SP, Pandit S, Falworth MS. Myositis ossificans of the subscapularis: an unusual case of restricted internal rotation. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2008; 17:21–4.
4. Mizuno K, Mineo K, Tachibana T. The ostogenitic potential of fracture haematoma: subperiosteal and intra muscular transplantation of the haematoma. J Bone Joint Surg 1990; 72:822–9.
5. Fauré C, Vialas M. Myosite ossifiante circonscrite. À propos d’un cas. Rev Chir Orthop 1975;61:663–71.
6. Danis A. L’ossification dans les tissus mous : le mécanisme. Bull Mem Acad R Med Belg 1992; 147:298–306.
7. Ptezia RA, Mintz SM, Calligaro P. Myositis ossificans traumatica of the masseter muscle. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology 1977; 44:351-7.
8. Micheli A, Trapani S, Brizzi I, Campanacci D, Resti M, Martino M. Myositis ossificans circumscripta: a paediatric case and review of the literature. Eur J Pediatr 2009; 168:523-9.
9. Gupta S, Gupta R, Singh S, Pant L. Ossifying fibromyxoid tumour of soft parts: report of a case diagnosed on fine needle aspiration cytology. Cytopathology 2012; 23:126-8.
10. Ben Hamida KS, Hajri R, Kedadi H, Bouhaouala H, Salah MH, Mestiri A, et al. Myositis ossificans circumscripta of the knee improved by alendronate. Joint Bone Spine. 2004; 71:144-6.
11. Dalury DF, Jiranek WA. The incidence of heterotopic ossification after total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2004 ; 19(4):447-52
12. Thienpont E, Schmalzried T, Bellemans J. Ankylosis due to heterotopic ossification following primary total knee arthroplasty. Acta Orthop Belg 2006; 72(4):502-6.
13. Tsujii A, Tanaka Y, Yonetani Y, Iuchi R, Shiozaki Y, Horibe S. Knee. Symptomatic calcification of the anterior cruciate ligament: A case report 2012; 19 (3):223-5.
14. Khan I, Rashid MI. Calcification of the lateral collateral ligament of the knee: a rare cause of acute knee pain. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2012; 22(6):389-91
15. Kaempffe FA, Bone LB, Border JR. Open reduction and internal fixation of acetabular fractures: heterotopic ossification and other complications of treatment. J Orthop Trauma 1991; 5(4):439-45.
16. Brumback RJ, JD Wells, Lakatos R, Poka A, Bathon GH, Burgess AR. Heterotopic ossification about the hip after intramedullary nailing for fractures of the femur. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1990; 72 (7):1067-1073.
17. Anneau D, Jupiter JB. Fracture-dislocation of the elbow. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1998; 80 (4):566-580.
18. Tsionos I, C Leclercq, Rochet JM. Une ossification hétérotopique du coude chez les patients souffrant de brûlures. Résultats après excision précoce. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2004; 86 (3) :396-403.