Main Article Content
Platypnea, Orthodeoxia, Pulmonary fibrosis, SARS-CoV-2
Platypnea-orthodeoxia syndrome (POS) is a clinical entity characterized by positional dyspnoea (platypnea) and arterial desaturation (orthodeoxia) that occurs when sitting or standing up and usually resolves by lying down.
POS may result from some cardiopulmonary disorders or from other miscellaneous aetiologies.
We report a case of POS in a patient after fibrotic evolution of SARS-CoV-2 interstitial pneumonia associated with pulmonary embolism. The patient did not have any evidence of an intracardiac/intrapulmonary shunt.
2. Charan NB, Thompson WH, Carvalho P. Functional anatomy of bronchial veins. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2007; 20:100-103.
3. De Vecchis R, Baldi C, Ariano C, et al. Platypnea-orthodeoxia syndrome: Orthostatic dyspnea and possible pathophysiological substrates. Herz. 2017; 42(4):384-389.
4. Rodrigues P, Palma P, Sousa-Pereira L. Platypnea-orthodeoxia syndrome in review: defining a new disease? Cardiology 2012; 123(1):15–23
5. Lee C-H, Cheng S-T. Shortness of breath while sitting up: hepatopulmonary syndrome. CMAJ 2011; 183: 80.
6. Brambilla I, Pizzamiglio R. ABC dei test di funzionalità respiratoria. Masson Italia Ed Milano 1979, pp 137-141
7. Bajc M, Schümichen C, Grüning T, et al. EANM guideline for ventilation/perfusion single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) for diagnosis of pulmonary embolism and beyond. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2019; 46:2429-2451
8. Newman S, Bennett WD, Biddiscombe M et al. Standardization of Techniques for Using Planar (2D) Imaging for Aerosol Deposition Assessment of Orally Inhaled Products. Journal of Aerosol Medicine and Pulmonary Drug Delivery. 2012.S-10-S-28.
9. Burchell HBHHJ, Wood EH. Reflex orthostatic dyspnea associated with pulmonary hypotension. Am. J. Physiol. 1949; 159:563-564
10. Altman M, Robin ED. Platypnea (diffuse zone I phenomenon?) N. Engl. J. Med. 1969; 281:1347-1348
11. Robin ED, Laman D, Horn BR, Theodore J. Platypnea related to orthodeoxia caused by true vascular lung shunts. N. Engl. J. Med. 1976; 294:941-943
12. Takhar R, Biswas R, Arora A, Jain V. Platypnoea-orthodeoxia syndrome: novel cause for a known condition. BMJ Case Rep 2014. doi:10.1136/bcr-2013-201284
13. Tenholder MF, Russell MD, Knight E, Rajagopal KR. Orthodeoxia: a new finding in interstitial fibrosis. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1986; 136:170–173