Main Article Content
colorectal adenoma; metabolic syndrome; psycho-neuro-immuno-endocrinological approach; anxiety; depression
Background and aim of the work Colorectal mucosal precancerous lesions, metabolic syndrome (MetS) and psychiatric disorders may share a common low-grade local and systemic inflammation. Aim is to report on preliminary data concerning a research adopting a psycho-neuro-endocrine-immune (PNEI) approach to study outpatients undergoing colonoscopy. Methods A sample of patients undergoing colonoscopy was cross-sectionally investigated. Data on colorectal adenomas, MetS, early atherosclerosis, anxious-depressive symptoms, personality traits, and inflammatory markers were statistically analyzed. Results Sixty-two patients were recruited (female 50%, mean age: 60.8±9.4 years). The prevalence of adenomas and MetS was respectively of 45.2% and 41.9%. Anxiety and depressive symptoms were detected in 16 (32.7%) and 9 (18.4%) subjects, respectively. The presence of adenomas positively correlated with male sex (p=0.01), age (p<0.01), IL-6 (p=0.03), hsCRP (p=0.04), and MetS (p=0.03); it was also associated with hsCRP concentration (aOR=3.81, p=0.03). Conclusions Proinflammatory atherogenic status, psychological traits, increased mucosal inflammation, and metabolic parameters may share a common a pathogenic mechanism, worth studying.
2. Miranda PJ, DeFronzo RA, Califf RM, Guyton JR. Metabolic syndrome: definition, pathophysiology, and mechanisms. Am Heart J. 2005 Jan;149(1):33–45.
3. Hess PL, Al-Khalidi HR, Friedman DJ, Mulder H, Kucharska-Newton A, Rosamond WR, et al. The Metabolic Syndrome and Risk of Sudden Cardiac Death: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017 Aug 23;6(8).
4. Butnoriene J, Bunevicius A, Saudargiene A, Nemeroff CB, Norkus A, Ciceniene V, et al. Metabolic syndrome, major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and ten-year all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in middle aged and elderly patients. Int J Cardiol. 2015;190:360–6.
5. Mattei G, Padula MS, Rioli G, Arginelli L, Bursi R, Bursi S, et al. Metabolic syndrome, anxiety and depression in a sample of italian primary care patients. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2018 May;206(5):316–24.
6. Rioli G, Tassi S, Mattei G, Ferrari S, Galeazzi GM, Mancini S, et al. The Association Between Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression, and Cardiovascular Risk Factors: Results From an Italian Cross-Sectional Study. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2019 May;207(5):340–7.
7. Marchi M, Mattei G, Mancini S, Roncucci L, Galeazzi GM, Ferrari S. Personality traits and physical activity may be involved in colorectal carcinogenesis: preliminary data from a cross-sectional study on patients undergoing colonoscopy. Minerva Psichiatr. 2019;60(2):100–1.
8. Goldbacher EM, Matthews KA. Are psychological characteristics related to risk of the metabolic syndrome? A review of the literature. Ann Behav Med Publ Soc Behav Med. 2007 Dec;34(3):240–52.
9. Mariani F, Sena P, Roncucci L. Inflammatory pathways in the early steps of colorectal cancer development. World J Gastroenterol. 2014 Aug 7;20(29):9716–31.
10. Salvi F, Miller MD, Grilli A, Giorgi R, Towers AL, Morichi V, et al. A manual of guidelines to score the modified cumulative illness rating scale and its validation in acute hospitalized elderly patients. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008 Oct;56(10):1926–31.
11. Sena P, Mancini S, Benincasa M, Mariani F, Palumbo C, Roncucci L. Metformin Induces Apoptosis and Alters Cellular Responses to Oxidative Stress in Ht29 Colon Cancer Cells: Preliminary Findings. Int J Mol Sci. 2018 May 16;19(5).
12. Harris RA, Nishiyama SK, Wray DW, Richardson RS. Ultrasound assessment of flow-mediated dilation. Hypertens Dallas Tex 1979. 2010 May;55(5):1075–85.
13. Giampaoli S, Palmieri L, Donfrancesco C, Lo Noce C, Pilotto L, Vanuzzo D, et al. Cardiovascular health in Italy. Ten-year surveillance of cardiovascular diseases and risk factors: Osservatorio Epidemiologico Cardiovascolare/Health Examination Survey 1998-2012. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2015 Sep;22(2 Suppl):9–37.
14. Rodríguez-Monforte M, Sánchez E, Barrio F, Costa B, Flores-Mateo G. Metabolic syndrome and dietary patterns: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Eur J Nutr. 2017 Apr;56(3):925–47.
15. Forghieri M, Longo C, Galeazzi GM, Rigatelli M, Seidenari S, Pellacani G. The different psychological profiles of subjects attending melanoma screening campaigns and those delaying diagnosis: an aid for designing preventive campaigns? Eur J Dermatol. 2010 Dec;20(6):802–7.
16. Mattei G, De Vogli R, Ferrari S, Pingani L, Rigatelli M, Galeazzi GM. Impact of the economic crisis on health-related behaviors in Italy. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 2017 Aug 1;20764017726097.
17. Miettunen J, Lauronen E, Kantojärvi L, Veijola J, Joukamaa M. Inter-correlations between Cloninger’s temperament dimensions-- a meta-analysis. Psychiatry Res. 2008 Jul 15;160(1):106–14.
18. Sutin AR, Costa PT, Uda M, Ferrucci L, Schlessinger D, Terracciano A. Personality and metabolic syndrome. Age. 2010 Dec;32(4):513–9.