Main Article Content
COVID-19 Living Spaces; COVID-19 Housing; COVID-19 Built Environment; Public Health Recommendations; Healthy Living Spaces; Safe and Sustainable Housing; Sustainable Architecture; Indoor Air Quality; Water Consumption; Wastewater Management; Urban Solid Waste Management; Housing Automation.
Background and aim of the work: The ongoing pandemic of COVID-19 is a strong reminder that the lockdown period has changed the way that people and communities live, work, and interact, and it’s necessary to make resilient the built environment, both outdoor and mainly the indoor spaces: housing, workplaces, public buildings, and entertainment facilities. How can we re-design the concept of Well-being and Public Health in relation to the living places of the future? Methods: According to the previous statements and scenario, this paper aims to integrate the building hygiene and well-being, focusing the possible responses, both existing and for the new buildings, taking home a strong message from this “period” of physical distancing. Results: The Well-being and Public Health recommendations for a healthy, safe, and sustainable housing are framed into the following key points: 1. Visible and accessible green elements and spaces; 2. Flexibility, adaptability, sharing, and crowding of living spaces, and compliant functions located into the buildings; 3. Re-appropriation of the basic principles and archetypes of sustainable architecture, thermal comfort and Indoor Air Quality (IAQ); 4. Water consumption and Wastewater Management; 5. Urban Solid Waste Management; 6. Housing automation and electromagnetic fields; 7. Indoor building and finishing materials. Conclusions: The Well-being and Public Health recommendations for a healthy, safe and sustainable housing may provide a useful basis for Designers, Policy Makers (fostering tax incentives for building renewal), Public Health experts and Local Health Agencies, in promoting actions and policies aimed to transform living places in healthier and Salutogenic spaces.
2) Diez L, Horve PF, Coil DA, Fretz M, Eilsen JA, Van Den Wymelenberg K. Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic: built environment considerations to reduce trasmission. mSystems. 2020 Apr 7;5(2). https://doi.org/10.1128/mSystems.00245-20.
3) Rothan HA, Byrareddy SN. The epidemiology and pathogenesis of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. J Autoimmun. 2020 May;109:102433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaut.2020.102433.
4) Mizumoto K, Chowell G. 2020. Transmission potential of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) onboard the Diamond Princess Cruises Ship, 2020. Infect Dis Model 5:264 –270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idm.2020.02.003.
5) Schuit M, Gardner S, Wood S, Bower K, Williams G, Freeburger D, Dabisch P. The influence of simulated sunlight on the inactivation of influenza virus in aerosols. J Infect Dis. 2020 Jan 14;221(3):372-378. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiz582.
6) Popov VI, D’Alessandro D, Gaeta M, Capasso L. Lighting requirements of dwellings: a comparison berween Russian federation and Italy. Ann Ig. May-Jun 2016;28(3):202-7. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2016.2098.
7) Amerio A, Brambilla A, Morganti A, Aguglia A, Bianchi D, Santi F, Costantini L, Odone A, Costanza A, Signorelli C, Serafini G, Amore M, Capolongo S. COVID-19 lockdown: housing built environment’s effects on the mental health. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health [submitted]
8) Reynolds L. Full house? How overcrowded housing affects families. Shelter, 2005. https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/policy_and_research/policy_library/policy_library_folder/full_house_how_overcrowded_housing_affects_families (last access 25th June 2020)
9) World Health Organization (WHO). Housing and health guidelines. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/276001/9789241550376-eng.pdf (last access 25th June 2020)
10) Editorial. Mental health and COVID-19: change the conversation. Lancet Psychiatry. 2020 Jun; 7(6): 463. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30194-2
11) Capasso L, Gaeta M, Appolloni L, D’Alessandro D. Health inequalities and inadequate housing: the case of exceptions to hygienic requirements for dwellings in Italy. Ann Ig 2017; 29: 323-331. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2017.2159
12) D’Alessandro D, Raffo M. Adapting the answer to new problem of living in a changing society. Ann Ig 2011; 23: 267-274. PMID: 22013706
13) Engemann K, Pedersen CB, Arge L, Tsirogiannis C, Mortense PB, Svenning JC. Residential green space in childhood is associated with lower risk of psychiatric from adolescence into adulthood. PNAS March 12, 2019 116 (11) 5188-5193; first published February 25, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1807504116
14) Appolloni L, Corazza MV, D’Alessandro D. The Pleasure of Walking: An Innovative Methodology to Assess Appropriate Walkable Performance in Urban Areas to Support Trans- port Planning. Sustainability 2019, 11(12), 3467. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11123467
15) Soltani A, Sharifi E. Daily variation of urban heal island effect and its correlatin to urbangreenery: a case study in Adelaide. Frontiers of Architectural Research. Volume 6, Issue 4, December 2017, 529-538. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foar.2017.08.001
16) Buffoli M, Rebecchi A, Gola M, Favotto A, Procopio GP, Capolongo S. Green SOAP. A calculation model for improving outdoor air quality in urban contexts and evaluating the benefits to the population’s health status. In Mondini G, Fattinnanzi E, Oppio A, Bottero M, Stanghellini S. (eds) Integrated Evaluation for the Management of Contemporary Cities. 2018 Springer, Green Energy and Technology: 453-467. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-78271-3_36
17) Maas J, Verheij RA, de Vries S, Spreeuwenberg P, Schellevis FG, Groenewegen PP. Morbidity is related to a green living environment. J Epidemiol Community Health 2009;63:967‐973. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2008.079038
18) Cohen‐Cline H, Turkheimer E, Duncan GE. Access to green space, physical activity and mental health: a twin study. J Epidemiol Community Health 2015 Jun;69(6):523-9. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2014-204667
19) Kuo FE, Sullivan WC. Aggression and violence in the inner city: effects of environment via mental fatigue. Environment and Behavior. Volume: 33 issue: 4, 543-571. https://doi.org/10.1177/00139160121973124
20) Labib SM, Lindley S, Huck JJ. Spatial dimensions of the influence of urban green-blue spaces on human health: A systematic review. Environ Res. 2020 Jan;180:108869. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2019.108869.
21) Brambilla A, Rebecchi A, Capolongo S. Evidence Based Hospital Design. A literature review of the recent publications about the EBD impact of built environment on hospital occupants' and organizational outcomes. Ann Ig 2019; 31: 165-180. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2019.2269
22) Andreucci MB, Russo A, Olszewska-Guizzo A. Designing Urban Green Blue Infrastructure for Mental Health and Elderly Wellbeing. Sustainability 2019, 11(22), 6425; https://doi.org/10.3390/su11226425
23) Berto R, Barbiero G, Pasini M, Unema P. Biophilic Design Triggers Fascination and Enhances Psychological Restoration in the Urban Environment. J. Biourbanism, 1, 26-35.
24) Soga M, Gaston KJ, Yamaura Y. Gardening is beneficial for health: A meta-analysis. Prev Med Rep. 2017 Mar; 5: 92-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmedr.2016.11.007
25) Wood CJ, Pretty, Griffin JM. A case-control study of the health and well-being benefits of allotment gardening. J Public Health (Oxf). 2016 Sep;38(3):e336-e344. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdv146.
26) Clatworthy J, Hind JM, Camic P. Gardening as a mental health intervention: a review. Mental Health Review Journal 2013; 18(4): 214-225. (last access 25th June 2020) http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?issn=1361-9322&volume=18&issue=4&articleid=17100206
27) Gonzalez MT, Hartig T, Patil GG, Martinsen EW, Kirkevold M. Therapeutic horticulture in clinical depression: a prospective study of active components. J. Adv. Nurs., 66 (2010), pp. 2002-2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05383.x
28) World Health Organization (WHO). International workshop on housing, health and climate change: Developing guidance for health protection in the built environment – mitigation and adaptation responses. October 2010. Meeting report. https://www.who.int/mediacentre/events/meetings/2010/housing_workshop/en/ (last access 25th June 2020)
29) Capolongo S, Rebecchi A, Buffoli M, Appolloni L, Signorelli C, Fara GM, D’Alessandro D. COVID-19 and Cities: from Urban Health strategies to the pandemic challenge. A Decalogue of Public Health opportunities. Acta Biomed 2020; Vol. 91, N. 2: 13-22. https://doi.org/10.23750/abm.v91i2.9615
30) Eurostat 2018. Housing statistics. https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Housing_statistics (last access 25th June 2020)
31) Istituto Superiore per la Protezione e la Ricerca Ambientale (ISPRA). XII Rapporto Qualità dell’ambiente urbano. Edizione 2016. https://www.isprambiente.gov.it/it/pubblicazioni/stato-dellambiente/xii-rapporto-qualita-dell2019ambiente-urbano-edizione-2016 (last access 25th June 2020)
32) Dettori M, Altea L, Fracasso D, Trogu F, Azara A, Piana A, Arghittu A, Saderi L, Sotgiu G, Castiglia P. Housing Demand in Urban Areas and Sanitary Requirements of Dwellings in Italy. J. Environ. Public Health 2020, 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/7642658
33) Commission for Architecture and Built Environment (CABE). Space in new home: what residents think. 2009.
34) Riva M, Larsen CVL, Bjerregaard P. Household crowding and psychosocial health among Inuit in Greeland. Int J Public Health. 2014 Oct;59(5):739-48. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-014-0599-x.
35) Signorelli C, Capolongo S, Buffoli M, Capasso L, Faggioli A, Moscato U, Oberti I, Petronio, MG, D’Alessandro D. Italian Society of Hypiene (SItI) recommendations for a healthy, safe and sustainable housing. Epidemiol Prev 2016; 40 (3-4):265-270. https://doi.org/10.19191/EP16.3-4.P265.094
36) Royal Institute of Brithis Architects (RIBA). The case for space. The space of England’s new homes. RIBA 2011. https://www.architecture.com/-/media/gathercontent/space-standards-for-homes/additional-documents/ribacaseforspace2011pdf.pdf (last access 25th June 2020)
37) Lindert J. Environment and mental health: developing a research agenda. European Journal of Public Health, Volume 29, Issue Supplement_4, November 2019, ckz185.074, https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckz185.074
38) Capasso L, Capolongo S, Faggioli A, Petronio MG, D’Alessandro D. Do Italian Regulations and policies protect poor people’s health? Ann Ig 2015; 27: 688-689. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2015.2060
39) Capasso L, Capolongo S, Faggioli A, Petronio MG, D’Alessandro D. Living in a semi-basement in the era of floods. Italian law cause inequalities in health protection. Ann Ig. 2015 Mar-Apr;27(2):502-4. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2015.2038
40) Popov VI, Capasso L, Klepikov OV, Appolloni L, D’Alessandro D. Hygienic Requirements of Urban Living Environment in the Russian Federation and in Italy: a comparison. Ann Ig 2018; 30: 421-430. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2018.2242
41) Mezzoiuso AG, Gola M, Rebecchi A, Riccò M, Capolongo S, Buffoli M, Tirani M, Odone A, Signorelli C. Ambienti confinati e salute: revisione sistematica della letteratura sui rischi legati all’utilizzo dei seminterrati a scopo abitativo. Acta Biomed. 2017; 88(3): 375–382. https://doi.org/10.23750/abm.v%vi%i.6741
42) Settimo G. Residential indoor air quality: significant parameters in light of the new trends. Igiene e sanità pubblica. 2012; 68(1), 136-138.
43) Gola M, Settimo G, Capolongo S. Indoor Air Quality in Inpatient Environments: A Systematic Review on Factors that Influence Chemical Pollution in Inpatient Wards. J Healthc Eng. 2019 Feb 27;2019:8358306. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/8358306.
44) Settimo G, Bertinato L, Bonadonna L, D’Ancona P, Santarsiero A, Soggiu ME. Indicazioni ad interim per la prevenzione e gestione degli ambienti indoor in relazione alla trasmissione dell’infezione da virus SARS-CoV-2. Rapporto ISS COVID-19 2020, 5(rev.). https://www.iss.it/documents/20126/0/Rapporto+ISS+COVID-19+n.+5_2020+REV.pdf/2d27068f-6306-94ea-47e8-0539f0119b91?t=1588146889381 (last access 25th June 2020)
45) Azara A, Dettori M, Castiglia P, Piana A, Durando P, Parodi V, Salis G, Saderi L, Sotgiu G. Indoor Radon Exposure in Italian Schools. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15(4), 749. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15040749
46) Ente Italiano di Normazione. UNI 10339:1995. Impianti aeraulici ai fini di benessere. Generalità, classificazione e requisiti. Regole per la richiesta d'offerta, l'offerta, l'ordine e la fornitura. Ente Italiano di Normazione; 1995. Rome, Italy.
47) Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS). Indicazioni ad interim su acqua e servizi igienici in relazione alla diffusione del virus SARS-CoV-2. Istituto Superiore di Sanità; 2020. Rome, Italy. Gruppo di Lavoro ISS Ambiente-Rifiuti COVID-19. (Rapporto ISS COVID-19, n. 10/2020). https://www.iss.it/documents/20126/0/Rapporto+ISS+COVID-19+n.+10_2020+acqua.pdf/3b844328-d674-6dc5-6bf9-eae5131cda20?t=1587107062819
(last access 25th June 2020)
48) La Rosa G, Bonadonna L, Lucentini L, Kenmoe S, Suffredini E. Coronavirus in water environments: Occurrence, persistence and concentration methods. A scoping review. Water Research, 179, 115899. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2020.115899
49) La Rosa G, Iaconelli M, Mancini P, Bonanno Ferraro G, Veneri C, Bonadonna L, Lucentini L, Suffredini E. First detection of SARS-CoV-2 in untreated wastewaters in Italy. Science of The Total Environment, 736, 139652. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.139652
50) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Information for Sanitation and Wastewater Workers on COVID-19. 2020. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/sanitation-wastewater-workers.html (last access 25th June 2020)
51) Lodder W, de Roda Husman AM. SARS-CoV-2 in wastewater: potential health risk, but also data source. The Lancet Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2020; 5(6), 533–534. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2468-1253(20)30087-X
52) Gormley M, Aspray TJ, Kelly DA. COVID-19: mitigating transmission via wastewater plumbing systems. The Lancet Global Health, 2020; 8(5), e643. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(20)30112-1
53) Istituto Superiore della Sanità (ISS). CS N° 30/2020. Le acque di scarico possono essere un indicatore dei focolai epidemici di COVID-19. https://www.iss.it/coronavirus/-/asset_publisher/1SRKHcCJJQ7E/content/id/5344257 (last access 25th June 2020)
54) World Health Organization (WHO). Water, sanitation, hygiene, and waste management for the COVID-19 virus. Interim guidance. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/water-sanitation-hygiene-and-waste-management-for-the-covid-19-virus-interim-guidance (last access 25th June 2020)
55) Dettori M, Azara A, Loria E, Piana A, Masia MD, Palmieri A, Cossu A, Castiglia P. Population Distrust of Drinking Water Safety. Community Outrage Analysis, Prediction and Management. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16, 1004. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16061004.
56) Azara A, Castiglia P, Piana A, Masia MD, Palmieri A, Arru B, Maida G, Dettori M. Derogation from drinking water quality standards in Italy according to the European Directive 98/83/EC and the Legislative Decree 31/2001 - a look at the recent past. Ann Ig 2018;30:517-26. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2018.2252.
57) Dettori M, Arru B, Azara A, Piana A, Mariotti G, Camerada MV, Stefanelli P, Rezza G, Castiglia P. In the digital era, is community outrage a feasible proxy indicator of emotional epidemiology? The case of meningococcal disease in Sardinia, Italy. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2018;15:1-8. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15071512
58) Dettori M, Piana A, Castiglia P, Loria E, Azara A. Qualitative and quantitative aspects of drinking water supply in Sardinia, Italy. A descriptive analysis of the ordinances and public notices issued during the years 2010–2015. Ann Ig. Jul-Aug 2016;28(4):296-303. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2016.2109.
59) Azara A, Muresu E, Dettori M, Ciappeddu P, Deidda A, Maida A. First results on the use of chloramines to reduce disinfection by products in drinking water. Ig Sanita Pubbl 2010;66:583-600.
60) Zambano-Monserrate MA, Ruano MA, Sanchez-Alchade L. Indirect effects of COVID-19 on the environment. Sci Total Environ. 2020 Aug 1;728:138813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.138813.
61) Scaini F, Beccaloni E, Bertinato L, Bonadonna L, Cini C, Confalonieri E, Di Maria F, La Rosa G, Milana MR, Testai E. Indicazioni ad interim per la gestione dei rifiuti urbani in relazione alla trasmissione dell’infezione da virus SARS-CoV-2. Rapporto ISS COVID-19, 2020. https://www.iss.it/documents/20126/0/Rapporto+ISS+COVID-19++3_2020+Rev2.pdf/4cbaa7b5-713f-da61-2cac-03e5d3d155b3?t=1591277298239 (last access 25th June 2020)
62) 23 Global Cities and Regions Advance Towards Zero Waste. https://www.c40.org/press_releases/global-cities-and-regions-advance-towards-zero-waste (last access 25th June 2020)
63) Polichetti A. Emissioni elettromagnetiche del 5G e rischi per la salute. https://www.iss.it/documents/20126/2265547/5G_e_rischi_per_la_salute.pdf/d50f25e6-25e4-48c8-b8c3-7da28cc57827?t=1575725274470 (last access 25th June 2020)
64) World Health Organization (WHO). 5G mobile networks and health. https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/5g-mobile-networks-and-health (last access 25th June 2020)
65) Bassi A, Ottone C, Dell’Ovo M. Minimum environmental criteria in the architectural project. Trade-off between environmental, economic and social sustainability. Valori e Valutazioni. 2019; 22:35-45.
66) Gola M, Settimo G, Capolongo S. Indoor air in healing environments: monitoring chemical pollution in inpatient rooms. Facilities. 2019; 37(9/10): 600-623. https://doi.org/10.1108/F-01-2018-0008.
67) Van Doremalen N, Bushmaker T, Morris D, Holbrook M, Gamble A, Williamson B, Tamin A, Harcourt J, Thornburg N, Gerber S, Lloyd-Smith J, de Wit E, Munster V. Aerosol and surface stability of HCoV-19 (SARS-CoV-2) compared to SARS-CoV-1. N Engl J Med 2020; 382:1564-1567. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
68) Kampf G, Todt D, Pfaender S, Steinmann E. Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents. The Journal of Hospital Infection. 2020 104: 246–251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2020.01.022
69) D’Alessandro D, Appolloni L, Capasso L. Public Health and urban planning: A powerful alliance to be enhanced in Italy. Ann. Ig. 2017, 29, 452–463. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2017.2177
70) D’Alessandro D, Arletti S, Azara A, Buffoli M, Capasso L, Cappuccitti A, Casuccio A, Cecchini A, Costa G, De Martino AM, Dettori M, Di Rosa E, Fara GM, Ferrante M, Giammanco G, Lauria A, Melis G, Moscato U, Oberti I, Patrizio C, Petronio MG, Rebecchi A, Romano Spica V, Settimo G, Signorelli C, Capolongo S, et Al. Strategies for Disease Prevention and Health Promotion in Urban Areas: The Erice 50 Charter. Annali di Igiene. 2017; 29(6):481-493. https://doi.org/10.7416/ai.2017.2179
71) Capolongo S, Rebecchi A, Dettori M, Appolloni L, Azara A, Buffoli M, Capasso L, Casuccio A, Conti Oliveri G, D’Amico A, Ferrante M, Moscato U, Oberti I, Paglione L, Restivo V, D’Alessandro D. Healthy design and urban planning strategies, actions, and policy to achieve salutogenic cities. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health; 2018 15(12): 2698. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15122698
72) World Health Organization (WHO) Europe. Housing and health regulations in Europe. 2006. https://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/121837/e89278.pdf?ua=1 (last access 25th June 2020)
73) Intesa 20 Ottobre 2016. Adozione Regolamento Edilizio-Tipo RET. Intesa, ai sensi dell’articolo 8, comma 6, della legge 5 giugno 2003, n. 131, tra il Governo, le Regioni e i Comuni concernente l’adozione del regolamento edilizio-tipo di cui all’articolo4, comma 1 – sexies del DPR 6 giugno 2001, n.380. https://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2016/11/16/16A08003/sg (last access 25th June 2020)
74) DM Sanità del 5 Luglio 1975. Modificazioni alle istruzioni ministeriali 20 giugno 1896 relativamente all’altezza minima ed ai requisiti igienico-sanitari principali dei locali d’abitazione.
75) Lenzi A, Capolongo S, Ricciardi W, Signorelli C, Napier D, Rebecchi A, Spinato C. New competences to manage urban health: Health City Manager core curriculum. Acta Biomed 2020; Vol. 91, Supplement 3: 21-28. https://doi.org/10.23750/abm.v91i3-S.9430.
76) Murgante B, Borruso G, Balletto G, Castiglia P, Dettori M. Why Italy First? Health, Geographical and Planning Aspects of the COVID-19 Outbreak. Sustainability 2020, 12, 5064. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12125064
77) Murgante B, Borruso G, Las Casas G, Balletto G, Castiglia P, Dettori M. Geographical analyses of COVID-19's spreading contagion in the challenge of global health risks. Tema. Journal of Land Use, Mobility and Environment, Special Issue COVID–19 vs City–20. 283-304. http://dx.doi.org/10.6092/1970-9870/6849
78) Muscat NA, Brambilla A, Caracci F, Capolongo S. Synergies in Design and Health. The role of architects and urban health planners in tackling key contemporary public health challenges. Acta Biomed 2020; Vol. 91, Supplement 3: 9-20 https://doi.org/10.23750/abm.v91i3-S.9414
79) Gola M, Signorelli C, Buffoli M, Rebecchi A, Capolongo S. Local health rules and building regulations: A survey on local hygiene and building regulations in Italian municipalities. Ann Ist Super Sanità 2017; Vol. 53, No. 3: 223-230. https://doi.org/10.4415/ANN_17_03_08
80) Capolongo S, Buffoli M, Brambilla A, Rebecchi A. Healthy urban planning and design strategies to improve urban quality and attractiveness of places. TECHNE - Journal of Technology for Architecture and Environment, (19), 271-279. https://doi.org/10.13128/techne-7837