Main Article Content
eosinophilic esophagitis; oral immunotherapy; cow's milk hypersensitivity
We report the case of a 15-year-old boy who developed eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) during cow’s milk oral immunotherapy (CM-OIT). In order to not completely invalidate OIT benefits, baked milk-containing foods were allowed instead of a strict CM-free diet. However, histological remission of EoE was reached only after a strict cow’s milk-free diet, not associated to pharmacological treatment. Nevertheless, given the limited data on real incidence of food OIT related EoE and potential beneficial treatment for this condition, we highlight the need of prospective studies aimed to evaluate if a strict CM free diet in OIT related EoE is always necessary to obtain remission of the disease or similarly to CM EoE, baked milk-containing foods” diet could be abeneficial treatment also in these patients.
2. Cardinale F, Ciprandi G, Barberi S, et al. Consensus statement of the Italian society of pediatric allergy and immunology for the pragmatic management of children and adolescents with allergic or immunological diseases during the COVID- 19 pandemic. Ital J Pediatr. 2020 Jun 16;46(1):84.
3. Capucilli P, Hill D.A. Allergic Comorbidity in Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Mechanistic Relevance and Clinical Implications. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2019 Aug;57(1):111-127.
4. Spergel JM, Brown-Whitehorn TF, Cianferoni A, et al. Identification of causative foods in children with eosinophilic esophagitis treated with an elimination diet. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012;130(2):461–7.
5. Leung J, Beukema KR, Shen AH. Allergic Mechanisms of Eosinophilic Oesophagitis. Best Pract Res Gastroenterol. 2015 Oct;29(5):709-720.
6. Ruffner MA, Spergel JM. Pediatric Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Updates for the Primary Care Setting. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2018 Dec;30(6):829-836.
7. Lucendo AJ, Arias A, Tenias JM. Relation between eosinophilic esophagitis and oral immunotherapy for food allergy: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014 Dec;113(6):624-9.
8. Mastrorilli C, Caffarelli C, Hoffmann-Sommergruber K. Food allergy and atopic dermatitis: prediction, progression and prevention. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2017 Dec;28(8):831-840.
9. Mori F, Cianferoni A, Brambilla A. et al. Side effects and their nimpact on the success of milk oral immunotherapy (OIT) in children. Int J of Immunopathol Pharmacol 2017;30:182-7.
10. Atkins A. Aeroallergens in eosinophilic esophagitis: Significant triggers or noise in the system? J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2017 Jan;64(1)1-2.
11. Moawad FJ, Veerappan Gr, Lake JM, et al. Correlation between eosinophilic oesophagitis and aeroallergenes. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2010;31(4):509-15.
12. Bianchi A, Cuomo B, Verduci E, et al. L’esofagite eosinofila: una possibile complicanza dell’immunoterapia orale per alimenti. RIAP 2019;1:20-29. ISSN: 0394-7939 (Print) – ISSN; 2531-3916 (On line).
13. Sánchez-García S, Rodríguez Del Río P, Escudero C, Martínez-Gómez MJ, Ibáñez MD. Possible eosinophilic esophagitis induced by milk oral immunotherapy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012;129:1155-7.
14. Gómez Torrijos E, Mendez Díaz Y, Moreno Lozano L, et al. Frequency and course of eosinophilic esophagitis during oral immunotherapy for cow’s milk allergy in a series of 57 children. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2017;27:132-3.
15. Morais Silva P, Antunes J, Chambel M, Prates S, Leiria Pinto P. Diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis in an infant undergoing milk oral immunotherapy - a case report. Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol 2014;46:154-6.
16. Leung J, Hundal NV, Katz AJ, Shreffler WG, Yuan Q, Butterworth CA, et al. Tolerance of baked milk in patients with cow's milk-mediated eosinophilic esophagitis. J. Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Nov;132(5):1215-1216.
17. Teoh T, Mill C, Chan E, Zimmer P, Avinashi V. Liberalized Versus Strict Cow’s Milk Elimination for the Treatment of Children with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. J Can Assoc Gastroenterol 2019 May;2(2):81-85.