Main Article Content
Assisted suicide, euthanasia, end of life issues, assisted dying, self-determination, religious ethics
After years of debates, the Chamber of Deputies approved in Italy the possibility of accepting, under certain conditions, to assisted suicide.
The issue of physician-assisted suicide is considered among the most controversial of the current bioethical debates in our Country.
Efforts are needed to overcome ideological extremisms, to welcome the different sensitivities that exist in the country and to reconcile the various options.
2. Molinelli A, Bonsignore A, Rocca G, Ciliberti R. Medical treatment and patient decisional power: the Italian state of the art Minerva Med 2009;100(5):429-34.
3. Baldelli I, Massaro A, Penco S, Bassi AM, Patuzzo S, Ciliberti R. Conscientious objection to animal experimentation in Italian universities. Animals (Basel) 2017;7(3):24
4. Ciliberti R, Alfano L, Baldelli I, De Stefano F, Bonsignore A. Self-determination, healthcare treatment and minors in Italian clinical practice: ethical, psychological, juridical and medical-legal profiles. Acta Biomed 2018;89(1):34-40.
5. Cavina M., Andarsene al momento giusto. Culture dell’eutanasia nella storia europea, Bologna: Il Mulino 2015: 212
6. Frunza S. Secular bioethics and euthanasia in a democratic public space. European Journal of Science and Theology 2013